I can clearly see the trend reversing I came to US this fall and atleast 30% of my seniors who graduated returned home and are working for top notch companies but off course most of them did not have loans to worry about and people who did not return ended up in consultancies most of them.
So the question is what would you do if you get an offer from a top notch company in India to working for a consultancy here in the US assuming you have an education loan which one would you choose.
America’s Brain Drain
Vinay posted his question to the blog post – never an option of going back home. In that post, there is a 7 minute video that talks about America’s Brain Drain and how Foreign graduate students are going back to home country after getting degree and working in US for several years.
There are several reasons
- It takes several years to get green card in USA (EB2 and EB3).
- How Long does it take to get Green Card in USA
- While green card is in process, employee cannot get promotion
- H1B workers and those who are waiting for green card cannot start business
- Dependents (H4) visa holders cannot work
Lets take a student completing engineering in India is coming to US for his Masters degree.
- Age 23 – Complete his MS in USA.
- Age 26 – Company files for Green Card. (EB2 or EB3)
- Age 35+ – Gets Green Card.
Tech professionals who are willing to take risks in life to start business have their hands tied due to green card process. One can get Investors visa, but ideas to create business doesn’t always require 500,000 or 1 Million Dollars in money. When prime age 23 to 35 of one life is wasted without able to start a business or move to higher position is tough.
Some professionals are willing to wait several years, but by the time they get green card, that adventurous spirit might not be there. They are forced to be ideal without venturing out to implement an idea and make it big. Also, when you get older, you will not be willing to take financial risks.
So, professionals are going back to India and China to be part of their growing economy. Percentage of people going back are less, because they are get used to high quality lifestyle in USA.
As the video says, 81% of Indians live in USA 5 years after completing graduate degree from US universities.
Number of people going back increased in last 2 to 3 years because of downturn in economy. Ofcourse not everyone is going back because of economy, but there can be family reasons and several other reasons. Longer Green Card wait time could be one of the reasons.
30% Graduates Going Back
Looks like you came to USA for Spring 2011 semester. So, you have spent about 1 month in USA. Don’t come to conclusion after observing life around seniors for just 30 days. You are seeing half glass of water as half empty. Why are you not looking at 70% of seniors who are staying (finding jobs).
If you happen to read some of the older posts, you will learn that your life style in USA is actually shaped by roommates and seniors with whom you associate in first 2 years. Food habits, life style, exposure to US lifestyle, job search process, internship search, ..etc are directly influenced by friends to certain extent.
Its very hard for you to recognize that, but after few years you will agree to the idea.
Example – Friend of mine was attending university in New Jersey. While I was searching for a job, I asked him about his job search process. He said, I will join consulting company after graduation. I asked why not try for full time jobs. He said that everyone he knew (roomates, seniors,..) don’t search for jobs, they directly join consulting companies.
So, don’t worry about what your friends and seniors are doing. You came to US to study and find a job after graduation. Start working towards your goal. Go and talk to those seniors and ask following questions
- Did you build professional job search network?
- Have they ever used LinkedIn for job search?
- How to Get Started with Twitter for Job Search
- Did you start reading books like Ultimate Job Search Guide?
- Did they submit resumes through contacts within the company?
- Did they have their resume reviewed any professional?
- Did they have their resume written by professional?
- Did they copy their resume template from their seniors?
- When did they start searching for jobs? [ 15 Smart Job Search Techniques]
Look at the positive side of the things and prepare yourself for the corporate world while you are in school. You will run into several negative experiences, but stay focused.