5 Ways to do MS while in Dependent H4 Visa?

Raghuram Sukumar Study in USA 11 Comments

I’m Priyanka, i am planning to do MS in computer science. As i m getting married soon. my fiance is doing job in USA.

So i’l be there in USA on dependent visa.

What ways are available for me to do MS?

Masters while on H4

  1. You can do full time MS while on H4
  2. Part time MS while on H4
  3. Convert to F1 Student status and do Masters degree.
    1. Attend university near your home
    2. Attend university in different location/state

Check with university/college near your home. Ask them about residency requirements and when you will qualify for In-State Fees (on H4 visa).


  1. Hello,
    I was wondering if we can change our status to F-1 anytime during the program and still avail OPT and on-campus jobs?

    1. Thats something university must decide and allow. I’m not sure if you do 2 semesters in H4, change to F1 (which can be done) and get OPT right away. Talk to the university where you plan to apply.

      1. Thank you!
        so this means that I can change to F-1 anytime but OPT rules are governed by the school?

  2. Could you pls suggest me some 1 yr short term courses related to computers so that I can change m status from H4 to F1 and get OPT. And also the name of those institutions which offer this course

  3. Hello HSB
    My school told me that I’m not elgible for OPT as I’m on F-1 for only one semester(this spring 2012). But they need me to be on F-1 status for 1 year. is this true?I was maintaining full-time status throughout my program and did a COS to F-1 and got it approved last month(dec 2011)

    So what are my options? I remember reading somewhere that we don’t need to be in F-1 status throughout(we can be in any legal status) for applying for OPT.
    Please reply. Thank you

  4. hi ,i completed msc biochemistry in my hometown,now i came usa with my spouse ,could you please suggest me 1yr certificate course .

  5. Hi, I will be on H4 visa starting October currently on F2. I have done Bachelor of Management Studies from Mumbai university India, could please help with the colleges/universities in New Jersey that accept 3year degree. I also worked as a preschool teacher for 3years in India. What would be good options for Masters degree which will help me to get employment?

  6. Hello I am Neelam Patil and i am a software engineer(MCA)from pune .My husband is doing job in Franklin(usa) so i got h4b dependent visa because of this . i can’t do job in usa,can you please tell me can i do further education that will help me for my career.And also tell me fees structure for that course.

  7. Hi, I have a good experience in Human Resource was working with an MNC from last 8 years. I have done M.Com. Have to leave my job due to my husband’s movement in USA and currently on H4 visa. Can you advice me a good course which can get my visa converted to F1.

    So i can use this time.

Leave a Comment - Your Thoughts Counts