Air Travel Within USA – ID Requirements

2 Flares 2 Flares ×

What ID is required to travel  within USA (via Flight) – Question from Reader.

I am traveling in flight for first time in USA.
I will be taking a flight from Chicago. So, I would first need to travel by bus from my college to Chicago.
I plan to get my passport renewed at the chicago consulate of India. That would require me to submit my passport. I will get it back by postal mail after 3 weeks.
My question is, can I travel from Chicago and back without the passport? Can I show some other kind of ID at the airport? I have my SSN and university ID card.
I have applied for wisconsin state ID but I am not sure if I will get it before I travel.
But they gave me a print out which they say can be used as temporary ID till i get the actual ID by mail. Which of these IDs will work and which won’t at the airport?

Air Travel – TSA ID Requirements

As per TSA following ID are accepted to fly within USA

Acceptable IDs include:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS “Trusted Traveler” cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
  • Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • A Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • A foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

Passport Required for Air Travel?

I usually  recommend taking passport, even if you have State ID or Drivers License.

TSA would let you clear the security check with state id or drivers license, but its safe to have your passport.

If you are planning to travel near US border, then make sure you take your passport with you.

If you are in Alabama, passport is MUST. New immigration laws requires  people to show documents related to legal stay in USA.

If you don’t have the documents, you can be arrested (just like Mercedes Benz executive).

2 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn 0 Google+ 2 2 Flares ×