Students and job seekers – you need to have common sense along with technical expertise.
This article is about common sense and how a person failed in job interview even before the interview process was setup.
Job Interview Process and Common Sense
Student X is from India, currently pursuing Masters in US University.
- Student X is doing Masters in Computer Science and looking for an internship position.
- Student X came across an internship position posted online.
- Student X forwards his resume to the contact (Contact Y) listed in the job posting.
- Contact Y forwards Student X’s to the hiring manager.
- Within 30 minutes Hiring Manager send email to Student X asking his availability/time to schedule a phone screen.
- Student X replies back saying “I’m available on Saturday at 2 PM”
Due to lack of common sense Student X just lost an opportunity to get internship interview, internship position and potential full time position at the same company. There are so many computer science graduates looking for internship and Student X threw away a golden opportunity. There are lot of lessons to be learned from above experience.
Question to You
Let us put this question to readers here and see how they should have responded. If you can post your comment and answer the following questions
- Do you agree to Student X’s response?
- What would be your response to phone screen set-up email request?
- Why do you think Student X lacked common sense?