Are you following the Case Dharun Ravi vs Clementi Trials?
Jury found Dharun Ravi – former Rutgers University (age 20), who spied on his roommate Tyler Clementi via webcam, guilty of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation (a hate crime), and tampering with evidence.
- Ravi faces up to 10 years in prison.
- Plus deportation to India
Dharun Ravi was born in India and moved with his parents to Plainsboro, N.J.
- Dharun Ravi set up a webcam on his computer, and had then gone into a friend’s room and viewed Mr. Clementi kissing a man he met a few weeks earlier on a Web site for gay men.
- He sent Twitter and text messages others to watch when Mr. Clementi invited the man again two nights later.
- Tyler Clementi, jumped to from the George Washington Bridge three days after the webcam viewing and died
- Ravi then deleted messages from Twitter after Mr. Clementi killed himself.
We have no way to know what was in Tyler Clementi’s was thinking when he jumped off the George Washington Bridge.
- Should a Dharunb Ravi go to prison for 10 years for that?
- Should he be deported from the country?
The judge has those options in sentencing.
Ravi’s spying on Clementi’s bedroom encounter was shameful and invasive, but he didn’t push Clementi off of that bridge.
Why I decided to write this blog post on Dharun Ravi?
Readers of this blog are International Students in USA (or Prospective International students) and majority of you guys from India.
When moving to New Country like USA, culture, laws and rules are different.
Things like Privacy, Hate Crime and tampering with evidence could get you into serious trouble.
You have to take things seriously.
Don’t do things that can get you into trouble.