How to apply for H1b Visa from India and other countries including US? So many IT workers try to apply for H1B visa, but only few of those are actually aware how one can get H1B Visa. In this article you will learn everything about H1b visa application process.
Applying for H1B Visa
One can apply for H1B Visa from
- Within US ( from different visa type)
- Apply for H1B visa while you are outside US ( say India)
Applying for H1B Visa in America
You can apply for H1B visa while you are in valid visa status in US.
- F1 Visa to OPT to H1B Visa
- F1 Visa to H1B Visa
- L1 Visa to H1B
- L2 to H1B
- B1/B2 to H1B Visa
Can I apply for H1b visa by myself?
Nope, you cannot sponsor H1B Visa by yourself. Only employer can apply for H1B Visa. Which means, you will need to find a job.
Difference between H1B applied by Consulting companies and Direct Employer?
- Consulting Company – You will have to find and join a consulting company. They will apply for your H1B, i.e. the consulting company will be your employer. They will help you find jobs (contract), sometimes you will have to search and find a jobs through your contacts. After project is over, you can look for new job. Most of the times consulting will be traveling job.
- Direct Employer – You apply for jobs directly to companies and when they hire you, they will apply for H1B Visa. After visa is approved, you work for them.
When Can one apply for H1B Visa?
USCIS will accept petitions for H1B visa on April 1 of each year. But, actual H1B start date will be form Oct 1 of that year. There is no deadline to apply for H1b Visa from April 1. For example, H1B Visa Fiscal Year 2011, can be applied on april 1, 2010. Until all the H1b Visas are filled, USCIS will accept H1B Visa petitions. You can see the time line of number of H1B Visa application filled for FY 2010.
Applying for H1B Visa from India (and others)
Only way to apply for H1B Visa from India is to find a employer who will apply for your H1B Visa. Employer can be consulting company or direct hire. Most of the time, It tech workers find some Indian Consulting company in US and they them apply for H1B visa.
Can you suggest a consulting company to file H1B?
Well, that’s your job to find a consulting company. But, there are many companies who commit fraud. So, be careful and ask for reference from trusted source.
When to file H1B?
As stated above, consulting company has to apply on April 1, 2010 for H1B FY 2011. Which means you need to find a company and send all the required documents to them well before April 1, 2010.
Hope above information is helpful. When it comes to Immigration and USCIS, always consult an Immigration attorney.