Response to the post Truth About US Admission Consultants was tremendous. In fact, I just have 2 brief examples of how US education agent work. But, there are still more details to come. In meantime, I would like to get more questions form you. Following post was in written by Sandeep –
Guide to Selecting US Education Consultant
Thanks for posting an interesting and important topic leftover for discussion. I am a student studying MS at USA, came through consultancy. I want to share few tips that might help students approaching consultancies from my past experience of applying application process.
Before approaching to Consultancy, student must decide following things:
- When to write GRE/TOEFL?
- Number of universities to apply
- When you will be ready to send all/part-by-part documents to universities
At the time of approaching consultancy, ask the following questions to consultant:
- What is the package? – (Total cost : Application charge, documents courier, Dollar conversion rates, service charge, etc… also add the TAX )
- Number of applying universities
- No. of Universities of student choice
- No. of Universities of consultant choice
- Number of guaranteed admissions
- If want to apply to more universities (in later stages), what would be extra expenses?
- Can I access the emails/conversation taking place between university and consultant?
- Do they help in building the profile? (Affidavit certificate, Bank Statement, Letter of Recommendation, Resume, Biographical Statement, Statement of Purpose,etc…)
- Do they take care of Visa guidance and Airline ticketing ?
- How do they follow-up with the students and regarding admission process?
If the student thinks that the consultancy is good and applies the universities through consultancy, then he should make sure do following things:
- Get the status of application for every 2 days.
- Make sure all the things are done from your side in time. Otherwise, if u won’t get admission in any universities and they will blame that its student’s fault.
- Don’t sign on any consultancy documents unless you are clear about terms and conditions.
- Get the maximum benefits from the consultancy.
I feel that those who don’t have much time to apply universities and want to apply many universities(probably 5 or more), can think of going to consultant. If any student wants to apply only few universities(1 or 2), applying by yourself is the best option.
Thats all … just few steps that might help you if you want to go to consultancy.
Over To you
Above guide gives an overview about the process, but there is always that “sweet-talking” counselor that will guarantee you admission with aid and provide visa counseling. What other questions you should be asking to identify if they are who they claim to be?