HR 3012 Immigration Bill Status Update
- Introduced – 09/21/2011
- House Judiciary Committee – Passed (10/27/2011)
- House Vote – Passed (Nov/29/2011)
- Senate Vote - TDB
- President Sign – TDB
HR 3012 Immigration Bill was passed in the House Fllor few minutes back. Now, the bill moves on to Senate.
We have to wait and see if the bill HR 3012 will be taken up for debate and voting in Senate before end of the congress session for this year.
About the Bill HR 3012
This bill if passed will gradually
- Remove country cap on Employment based Green quota (at 7% now)
- Increase the family based green card quota to 15%
Remove Country Cap – Employment Based Visa
This country cap removal will lower US Green card wait times for Indians, Chinese and other backlogged countries like Philippines and Mexico.
Cap per country cap is 7% of a total of 140,000 employment based green cards available every year.
Immigrants from any country can get only 7%
- 1st year, 85% of EB green cards will become first come first serve
- 2nd & 3rd year,90% of EB green cards will become first come first serve
- 3+ year transition, all green cards will be first come first serve.
- Given that the total number of green cards in waiting list is not too huge, you may start getting green cards in a year.
Family based green card cap to 15%
If you decide to settle down in the USA and get a green card, later you get married and want to bring in your spouse, it currently takes whooping 5+ years of waiting before your spouse can set his/her foot in the US. With a 15% quota, it will be faster, much faster. Stayed tuned for latest news.