Every job applicant to a position always thinks they are the best candidate for the job.
But, interviewer has different view about the candidate being interviewed.
Unless, employers expectations and several factors about candidate matches, there is no job offer.
In this interesting article why I won’t hire you shows 5 Most Common Ways You Don’t Deserve Any Job and how to win the job interview.
5 Reasons – No Hire
- You send me a stupidly long resume
- You can’t tell me why you like your current job
- No career plans or vision
- No Skills
- Answer my questions with conjecture
How to Win the interview
- Show me you can get things done.
- Show me you are intelligent.
- Show me how I fit into your vision.
- Be highly skilled.
- Be Passionate.
I can certain throw my experience on this Long Resume topic. I have looked at resume and let me split them into groups.
- Undergrad student applying to USA for higher ed
- Software engineers with less than 3 years experience applying for higher ed in USA
- Entry level graduates from Masters in USA
- Experienced professionals in USA (few)
- Experienced professionals from India trying to get to USA
I have highlighted out of 5 groups. Majority of those who fall under that group have one thing in common.
Long Resumes. I have seen like 8 pages resume.
Especially those who work for Software Consulting companies like TCS, Wipro, etc. There will be 1 page per client.
When I reply back with my comments, they trim 2 pages. From 8 it would come down to 6 pages.
Snippet from above link
Think about it this way – the resume items communicate to me your past successes in a (supposedly) succinct manner. If you can’t nail it in one sentence, do I really want to look forward to your rambling emails every day? If I can’t read your resume, it doesn’t bode well for your emails, and I get enough of those in my inbox as it is.
If you are applying for internship, full-time job in USA, make sure you understand what kind of resume would work.