24 Months STEM OPT, H4 EAD could be Revoked by President Trump’s Executive Order as per the Leaked Memo. This is Developing News (and Breaking News). We have been hearing news about President Trump and his plans for restricting and reforming U.S. Immigration System. Two Executive Orders were signed today and leaked memo shows 4 more Draft of Executive Order that President Trump can sign.
Plus, there’s language in the Executive Order that impacts H1B Visa, J1 Visa, L1, Adjustment of Status for Green Card, etc. Yes, my head was spinning when I started reading the draft. And here’s the list of New H1B Visa and Green Card Bills that have been introduced in Congress till date. As per the Leaked memo form Vox of Executive Order, 24 Months STEM OPT Extension, H-4 EAD could be revoked.
Quoting from Vox:
But on Wednesday afternoon, Trump signed two executive orders on immigration that word-for-word matched the drafts we’d received. Given that our source had early access to two documents that were proven accurate, and that all the orders closely align with Trump’s stated policies on the campaign trail, we are reporting on the remaining four.
Here’s a quick overview of what’s in the Executive Order:
- Memo Title: Protecting American Jobs and Workers by Strengthening the Integrity of Foreign Worker Visa Programs
- Review/Revoke Regulations
- 24 Months STEM OPT Extension
- H4 EAD
- Parole based entry into the USA
- Other Non-Immigrant Work Visas
- Increased site visits for L-1 and other employment based guest worker visas
- Ways to alter H-1B Visa program instead of allocating visa via Lottery
- Improve monitoring of foreign students” and to “reform, practical training programs for foreign students to prevent the disadvantaging of US students in the workforce.
- To reform the J-1 Summer Work Travel program to improve protections of US workers.
- E-Verify Program changes
We don’t know which provision of this Leaked Executive Order will make it into the final executive order or even if this order would be even signed. But, looks like the source who provided the leaked copy of two executive order signed by President today matched word for word as reported by Vox Media.
I will be talking to Immigration Attorney to understand the potential impact of this Executive Order and get a clear understanding for some of the vague to generalized terms used in the leaked memo.
How to Get Breaking News Updates?
- Sign-up for Email Updates
- Join F1 Visa, STEM OPT Facebook Group (for F1 Students)
- Join H1B, H4 Visa Facebook Group (for Foreign Workers)
- Follow YouTube Channel
Questions and Answers
1. Is this Memo for real?
As per Vox Media, the source who shared two other memos was word-to-word correct. But, they are also warning that this memo can be revised or may not see the light of the day.
2. When will President Trump sign this?
I’m clueless as you are. He announced that he’s signed an Executive Order to build the wall the day before. So, we don’t know what will happen with this leaked memo.
3. What is the Best Case Scenario?
If this memo is fake and the president doesn’t sign this or similar memo to rescind 24 Months STEM OPT or H4 EAD or other immigration provisions enacted by President Obama.
4. What is the Worst Case Scenario?
Do we really need to discuss the worst case scenario here?
5. How to get updates about this memo?
Refer to the above section – How to get breaking news updates.
6. I’m worried, what should I do next?
There’s not a lot we can do. At this time, members of the F1 Visa Facebook group have reported about re-entry without any problems. Plus, the Travel Ban is for the 7 specific countries. If you haven’t done wrong, have all the documents, done things by the books, I think you shouldn’t have any problem.
7. Can I travel to India?
Here’s an update from a student on STEM OPT who entered USA via Chicago (ORD) on 20th Feb.
8. Where is STEM OPT and H4 EAD mentioned in the leaked memo?
I think it’s in the language of the Memo is written (I have highlighted them in the above screenshot). Here’s two sentences from Vox (source of leaked memo) that mentions the same:
If there are further updates about the possibilities of changes to H1B Visa, H4 EAD, STEM OPT and other legal immigration visa, I will be covering them here.
Share this blog post. Spread the news. That’s a good start. Then follow this page and Happy Schools YouTube Channel for Video Updates.