Hi Guyz !! My profile goes as follows
- 10th – 89% ; 12th – 95%
- BE – CS – 78%
- Work experience – 3 Years – Currently working as a Developer
My question is initially i was planning to do a MIS, the reason – Since i have a considerable technical experience, a wholistic picture is possible if some management or IS knowledge is added to it ..
But I contacted my brother-in-law i, who is working as a software developer in US after his MS in computer science. He said you will be better off doing computer science rather than MIS; the reasons –
- Predominant role for MIS graduate is Consultant – which is not suitable for a person who wish to travel a lot (Like me !!!)
- Job opportunities / Course content worth is more for CS than for MIS – He said if you need to have a MBA, you can do that later on..
- 3+ Years of my development experience will be useful if i take a development job again.
- Almost of the MIS grads end up as application developers – in which case, he said , you will be better off doing CS
- After working in any organization after MS, if you want to shift to management, you can.. So MS in CS is more versatile for my career.
- I am poor financially. His comment was GA/RA/TA s are easy to get in CS than MIS – He almost finished his CS degree which 10-12 lakhs .
And when it comes to my preference – I am quite above average in my development skills although not elite.
And i was noted everywhere for my persuasive, intercommunication skills(I am not boasting 🙂 ). So either way its fine for me … The only hiccup when it comes to CS is I am not the type of guy who loves algorithm – I am quite good @ application development – Will that be a negative.
Guyz the comments given by my brother-in-law was totally individualistic and it portrays his perception which may not be true. Please pour in your comments .
MS vs MIS
I have to agree to what your Brother in Law regarding Masters degree in Computer Science vs MIS (Management Information Systems).
I’m bit puzzled with your comment – How can you develop good application when you don’t love algorithms?
You have to read this – MS in CS vs MIS
If you have assumed that degree in Management Information System will get you a Manager role, then your assumption is incorrect.
You don’t become a Manager just because you have an MBA, likewise you don’t get to escape programming world if you study MIS.
Having said that, you there is another false assumption.
Doing MS in Computer Science doesn’t mean you have to work as a programmer. You can still get the same job as MIS graduate.
Likewise, even after completing MIS, you can get a job as Software Engineer or Application developer.
Very likely you will be working as an application developer even after MIS. You have to deal with OPT, Cap-Gap and Unemployment period in OPT.
Under time crunch, you will be willing to accept any Information Technology related job.