Question about admission to Masters program in Bioinformatics.
i am doing BE biotech under vtu..my gre score is 15oo and toefl score is 113. but my BE aggregate is 61% with 2 backlogs. i am working for cognizant (an IT
company) also doing a part time research assistant job at iisc. i plan to work for 2 years..i have just started out. i have a research paper published in my
area of interest..and also hold a part time diploma in bioinformatics which is my area of interest.
do i stand a chance of getting into a grad school for bioinformatics ? (i topped my university in the final semester)..will manage to get good recco letters and SOPs. What r my realistic chances of getting into a grad school in us?
- Your backlogs hardly matters with GRE Scores of 1500 and TOEFL 113.
- Does your work in CTS related to Bioinformatics?
- Bioinformatics is specialized version of Software programming with understanding in Bio aspects ( Sequencing, Pattern Matching algorithms,..) you need to develop strong programming skills ( usually C, Perl and strong data structures)
- Universities in US offer Masters in Bioinformatics or Masters in Computer Science with Bioinformatics Major.
- Students with programming background or Computer Science degree will find it easier to adapt to Bioinformatics than students with Biotechnology, Chemistry backgrounds.
- It would be better if you can select M.S. in Computer Science with Bioinformatics Major as an option. You will have wider options to find a job.
- You an search for jobs as Software Engineer as well as Bioinformatics Specialist.