Listen buddy, to get into these top schools to do MS-PhD is not a matter of joke!!! Everything, ( I repeat everything is necessary especially if u r not an IITian)..starting from top grade scores to awards, research experiences, paper publications …….everything is NECESSARY!
You can check the top school websites(mainly MIT, Princeton, UCB) at your respective departments and start looking for the Graduate students there.
You see an a number Indian students. Everyone of these students have done either their bachelor’s at IITs or their master’s from IISc or IITs (and all these students have topped in their respective departments).
No one of these top school students who went there from India are from any other institutes..—only IITs and IISc. But you mail them and ask them:- they will say the IIT tag is not necessary. But it is necessary.
The professors, there, ( I mean at the top schools) have only heard about our IITs and IISc and ISI, as well, and nothing else.
So if you really want to get to these top schools try to do master’s from IIT or IISc and be a topper there. Try to publish paper at least at the international conferences. And yes after 3 years…..you will find yourself at one of your dream top schools!!!!!
Best of luck for your endeavor!!!
Why IIT Tag
Reason you need IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) tag to get into to universities is because of research exposure and standard of education you get from there.
You may apply for Dream school for your profile, but even if you get admission, it’s not going to be easy to manage the academics in top universities.
You can get admission in MIT, Stanford, etc from attending some random college in India during bachelors, provided you have exposure that someone from IIT.
If you have strong research interest and desperate to study PhD from Top program, you can do this
- Apply for Masters (best school you can get)
- Complete MS with Thesis track
- Improve your research exposure (which will be must better than what you get in bachelors)
- Apply for PhD in Top program.
- You may have to retake GRE.
Example of my friend
- BTech in Biotech from Ok college.
- MS in Molecular Biology from USC
- Full time research based work for 2 years
- PhD in UC Berkley (current)
Also, for PhD, Top university matters to some extent, but choice of research and professors working on same field matters much more than university brand.
- Part 1 : The PhD Experience : What’s Involved
- Part 2 : Is PhD right for me? (this article)
- Part 3 : PhD Phase by Phase
- Part 4 : What does it take to complete PhD?