I read some of the articles about lengthy process to get H1B Visa. I was wondering how long it will take to get Green Card in US? Is there any advantage while applying to Green Card process after competing Masters degree in US or coming to US directly in H1B Visa?
Interesting set of questions about Green Card process. Process to get Green Card in US is lengthy and time consuming. Green card process depends on person to person.
Green Card Categories
Every year 140,000 applicants are given US green card in employment based categories. Within that 140,000, each country can have cap, which is 7% of 140,000 green card (9,800).
They are further divided into five categories as follows
- EB-1 Priority Workers
- EB-2 Professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability
- EB-3 Skilled or professional workers
- EB-4 Special Immigrants
- EB-5 Investors (Employment Creation)
How Long to Get Green Card
According to May Visa Bulletin
|Month/Year||India EB1||India EB2||India EB3||China EB1||China EB2||China EB3|
Above table shows the priority dates for EB1, EB2 and EB3 categories for India and China. If you apply for Green card in EB1 Category, you can get it in GC in about 1 year. For EB-2 Green Card submitted on February01, 2005 is being processed and for EB2 It’s October 01, 2001 (thats about 8 to 9 years to get Green Card)
Example Processing Time EB3
- Start Masters Degree from Fall 2010
- Complete Masters in Summer 2012 ( 2 years)
- Employer apply for your Green Card in 2015 in EB3
- Add 9 more years to the wait time from 2015
- You can expect to get US Permanent Residency in 2024
Above case is an example. There are many factors that influence the processing time and your application. But, this article should have given an overview of the process and processing time.