U.S. Department of State publishes Visa Bulletin every month. It contains the Priority Date for Employment Based Visa category. Each country is subject to certain cap per year or those aliens who are subject to the annual immigrant visa quota, the priority date determines when they can file an application to adjust status to permanent resident (Form I-485).
Previous article listed the latest Priority Dates from May 2010 Visa Bulletin. You can see there is a wait time for 9 years for Indian citizens. But, there are other factors that determine how long it would take to get Employment based green card. One such factor is number application is queued for specific visa category.
Current EB Inventory
AEB2 Wait Time – Green Cards per I-485 inventory published by USCIS on March 2010 show long wait times for EB 2 and EB3 category for Indian nationals
- EB1- 414
- EB2 – 39,081
- EB3 – 59,636
- EB4 – 28
- EB5 – 10
Only 2802 Immigrant EB2 and EB3 is available per year. Now, you can do the math to find how long it would take to get Green Card in EB2 and EB3 category.
EB2, EB3 Waiting Time
- : 39,081 / 2802 = About 14 years
- EB3 Wait Time – Green Card: 59,636/ 2802 = about 21 years
If you want to green card without 14 or 21+ years wait consider doing a PhD. With a PhD you increase your chance to apply in EB1.
Green Card Series
- How Long Does it Take to Get Green Card in USA for Eb1, EB2 and EB3 (this article)
- Green Card Steps for EB2 and EB3 Explained
- Green Card Visa Numbers availability for E1, EB2 and EB3
- US Green Card Waiting Time Based on Pending Applications
- Immigration Path : Steps for an F1 Visa to Become U.S. Citizenship
- How EB Green Card Spill Over between EB1, EB2, EB3, EB4 and EB5 works