Hi friends – I have applied to 7 universities and expecting one I-20 soon. I am planning to go for Spring 2011. I just wanted to know when can I go for VISA, i mean how late can I plan. Classes might start from 2nd week of Jan 2011. Please help me! Thanks in advance – Aishwarya
F1 Visa Stamping – Spring 2011
You have to prepare for following 3 scenarios. Students usually arrive anywhere between 1 to 7 days before orientation for Spring semesters. Due to the time limit and university deadlines, I-20 gets mailed out in month of December. Then students have to attend F1 Visa interview, packing and then travel to USA.
- Plan to be at university for International Student Orientation.
- Find out when is last (if there are few) International Student Orientation
- Plan for Visa dates, time to pack and travel. So, you can reach there before orientation.
Second Best Case
- Check if they will allow to register for classes without attending orientation (most likely not)
- Last date that you can arrive at campus.
If you cannot get visa stamped and reach university before orientation and if university doesn’t allow students to register for classes without attending orientation, this case applies.
- Defer admission for Summer 2011 (or Fall 2011)
- Get New I-20
- Travel for next semester.
Don’t forget to read F1 Visa Stamping Experiences. University will try to accommodate late arrivals, but some schools have strict cut-off dates. Its better you talk with the school and plan for all 3 cases.