Myself and many of my friends are having the following doubt. It would be great if you clarify this.
Is it legal in US to do free lancing (projects based from a country other than US) while studying (with F-1) or with any other non-work permit visas (such as dependent visas) which doesn’t allow full-time work permit).
If allowed, in-case of F1, the hours claimed/spent should not exceed 20 hours ?
Freelancing Work in F1 Visa
- Off-Campus Part Time Jobs – Not Allowed
- Full Time Employment (without CPT/OPT) – Not allowed
- On-Campus Part Time Jobs (20 hours during semester) – Allowed
- Freelancing Work while on F1 Visa – Not Allowed
- Part Time and Full Time Internship with CPT/OPT – Allowed
Off Campus part-time jobs are allowed, if you get work authorization due to family hardship. But, if you do that, I believe you are not eligible for OPT.