Thanks Selam for posting this comment on how to get H-1B Receipt Number by calling USCIS. The problem here is that not all employers will be willing to do the steps described below.
- I called 1-800-375-5283 and chose option 1 (for English),
- Choose option 2 (for check status of Application),
- Next, select option 3 (for lost H1B receipt number)
- You will then be talking to a customer service rep. Tell them you have applied for an H1-B visa and you haven’t received a receipt number yet. The rep will ask when did you apply (it needs to be more than 30 days) and at which service center.
- Then you will be transferred to another rep who will ask you for your name and some other similar questions.
- You will then be asked for some info about your employer.
- These include your employer’s name, company name, address and federal tax ID # (same thing as Federal Employer ID # on your I-129 form).
- You will be told to wait for a while as the USCIS rep will be talking to your employer (or a representative of the company).
- After the rep talked to your employer and you can ask for the H1B Receipt number. If your application is already in the system they will give it to you.