Prak shared his H1B visa stamping experience at the Chennai U.S. Consulate. Here’s his background:
- Education – Masters Degree in the US
- Work Experience – 2 Years as Consultant
- H1B Visa Stamping – First time visiting India after H-1B Approval
H1B Visa Stamping Experience Chennai
- How long did it take before you can book the dates for your visa appointment?
Around two weeks.
- Were you able to get the date you were planning for?
- Apart from following the list of H-1B Visa Stamping document, did you carry any additional documents?
Yes, I brought the letter from the client, tax statements, electricity bills, driver’s license, and all degree certificates.
- Can you walk us through about the steps you took and your experience at the U.S. consulate (arriving at the consulate, waiting for the interview, documents verification, etc.)
I reached the U.S. consulate an hour before 🙁 but I was sent back immediately. My 2 cents was not to go early to the consulate. Arriving around 15 minutes before the scheduled time is good enough.
Don’t take any sealed envelopes. Security personnel will stamp all your envelopes, so this will take some time. No cell phones not even chocolates or chewing gums are allowed
There are pre-screening counters where they check all your documents(I-797, LCA, etc.). If everything is satisfactory, then you will be directed towards the visa interview rooms.
- How long was your interview?
About 10 minutes.
- What questions did the VO ask?
“Where did do your Master?
Where are you working right now?”
- When did you get the passport back?
After three days.
- How was the entry procedure at Port of Entry?
Easy. One question – “Where do you work?”
- Many forums posts say things like – “Don’t go for H-1B stamping, People are sent back home from Port of Entry,” etc. What are your thoughts about that?
They’re just rumors, don’t believe in those things.
- Do you work as a full-time employee or as a consultant?
I’m a consultant.
- How big is your company? (number of employees)
Additional Visa Stamping Questions
If you have further questions, you can leave a comment below. Prak will reply to your comments.