Rate Your Resume in the Seale of 1 to 100

Raghuram Sukumar Career 2 Comments

I have reviewed and  come across 100’s of resumes of students from India attending Graduate school in United states. Less than 5% of those resume are well crafted and conveys the intended message.  Remaining 95% resumes are just plain and doesn’t create any impact at all.
After reviewing the resume, response from students looks like

  1. I know my resume is not good, can you make the changes you suggested for me?
  2. I spent lot of time preparing this resume and I can find a job with this resume
  3. Its hard to implement the changes you have suggested
  4. No response at all.

Common Problems in Resume

Some of the mistakes/problems common to those resume are

  • It talks what then want from the employer
  • Doesn’t say how they can contribute to the employer
  • Talks about the projects/labs completed, not what they learned from the projects

Your Resume

If someone gave you a resume critique, how do you respond? Does it sound like one of the above 4 choices?

Remember that resume is an evolving document. You have to work on it atleast once in a week till you get it right. After you feel that you have the perfect resume, then you work on it again. There is nothing called perfect resume, only evolving resumes exist.

See Also : Recruiters Can’t Ignore This Professionally Written Resume Template >>

Comments

  1. This, I must say, is a thought evoking article about resume writing!

    When I think about dealing with:

    * It talks what then want from the employer
    * Doesn’t say how they can contribute to the employer
    * Talks about the projects/labs completed, not what they learned from the projects

    I feel awkward and find myself in no man’s land thinking where to place those points.

    Should I be making a separate section/box to write about how I could help the company grow and stuff or should I try to slide those points in into places which tell how good I am with certain skills?

    Many thanks,
    Abdullah.

  2. Thank you for your informative blog. I want to write a resume to show to a professor to see if I can get addmission. Should it be different from that kind of resume which others write to find job?What is important to be mentioned in this resume?Also,I want to get addmistion for urban planning in M.A.

    Yours faithfully,

    Marzie

Leave a Comment - Your Thoughts Counts

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.