Following post was submitted by a student from NC state University, Raleigh, North Carolina about the process involved to to get internship approval from the University.
In general, NC state university allows a regular Masters student to do an internship only of 3 months. Internship Extension is provided only to students who do a thesis. Extension is limited to 4 months
(although this is not a written rule, it is exercised here).
Steps to get Internship
Following are the steps of procuring an internship:
- Get a job.
- Fill a student application and get signature from your thesis adviser (if a thesis student)
- Get approval of your DGP. Before this, you will need to describe in a few words how your internship work is an inherent part of academic program. Then the DGP signs the application and writes a paragraph for you stating the benefits of the internship.
- Thereafter you will need to go to the Co?op office and get your application approved from them.
- Then you will need to go to OIS (office of international services) and get the application approved.
The overall procedure takes around 10 t o12 days to complete on an average. For getting an Internship extension beyond 3 months, the prerequisite is to be a thesis student. You will have to fill in a new application for the extension. Then the thesis advisor will review the application and offer letter and will decide whether the opportunity is beneficial or not.
If he is positive on student going for the extension, he will fill in a paragraph stating how beneficial the opportunity for the student is towards the thesis and then sign it. The student then has to go to the DGP and follow steps 2?5 once again.
This time, however the DGP examines the application more keenly and makes sure that it is very well related to the coursework the student undertook. Only then he signs it. (NOTE: Non?thesis students are NOT eligible for extension).
For step 4, before the co?op office approves the extension, a written report has to be submitted by the student describing the work experience in the previous internship and the relation of it with the
academic coursework he undertook. He should also fill in 2 more forms.
- Form A: The coursework the student will pursue after the internship
- Form B: The self evaluation of internship w.r.t various skills he procured during the work
If these things satisfy the co?op office, the extension is approved by the co?op office.
The final step(5) is the OIS approval. This time the OIS is more strict in approving the extension and takes some more time approving it. The overall time for this extension process can take up more than 20 days.
Internship at Your School?
what is the procedure to get Internship at your univeristy? Is it similar to NCSU?