/ / / What is the Difference Between OPT Visa and I-20?

What is the Difference Between OPT Visa and I-20?

We received this question about OPT Visa, F1 Visa, and the Form I-20. OPT Stands for Optional Practical Training, it’s a 12-month work authorization that is available for international students completing academic programs in the U.S.

You will get 1 OPT period per degree level you earn.

If you do MBA and MS, you can get only one OPT period since both degrees is at the masters’ levels. An OPT card is also called as an EAD Card.

When you I’m in OPT what will be the Visa status? Will I-20 still be valid and how to use OPT Card?

OPT Visa

There is no status called OPT Visa. You will still be in a student F1 visa but in OPT status. Students have to apply for OPT before graduation.

Students are allowed to work only after an OPT is approved and they have received an OPT card on hand.

Your I-20 will say you are in an OPT period. When OPT rules were changed, where a student working in OPT for a company enrolled in E-Verify, he can apply for the additional 17 months OPT extension.

No student can be unemployed in OPT period for over 90 days during his or her first 12 months OPT employment period. If you apply for the STEM OPT, you have a total of 150 days of unemployment.

Make sure you understand the rules about OPT and the related unemployment period. This way, you can take the necessary steps to stay in legal status.

If you go out of legal status, you will run into lots of problems with the immigration department.

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles