Let’s start with this simple question : What is a Visa?

A foreign national who wish to study, work or reside in another country would normally require a document called Visa. It is typically a stamp that is placed in your passport.

There are several types of visa. In order to study, live for short time or long time or to work in America, you have to get correct type of USA visa approval and stamping  in the passport.

If you are already in the U.S.A. then you need valid I-94 form, which confirm your legal period of stay.

If you are outside U.S.A. and planning to come to America, then you need to get the appropriate types of visa.

USA Visa

We are going to focus on following  types of USA visa here in the blog

Here’s a path taken by a student who plans to Study in USA would follow

  • Get admission to attend university in USA
  • Apply and get F1 Visa to Study in USA
  • After completing the Degree, apply for Work Authorization Document – EAD via OPT.
  • Then Employer would apply for H1B Visa.
  • H1B visa is issued for Maximum term of 6 years.
  • Employer would then start Green Card Process
  • Green Card Process based on Employment Category can take anywhere from 1 year to several years.

For workers who come directly to work in U.S.A. via H1B visa would take the following path

  • Then Employer would apply for H1B Visa Petition with USCIS.
  • After approval, Employer ( and his family) would have to attend H1B Visa interview and get visa approval
  • Then  travel to USA on H1B Visa.
  • H1B visa is issued for Maximum term of 6 years.
  • Before the end of 6 years, employer would start Green Card Process
  • Green Card Process based on Employment Category can take anywhere from 1 year to several years.
  • Dependents of H1B worker would come to USA on H4 Visa.

Certain H4 Visa holders are now eligible to apply for EAD – Work Authorization. That would enable spouses of Primary H1B Visa applicant to work legally in the United States.



  1. Raouf on December 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM

    Hi..I recently got here in US-chicago on short term rotation on H1-B..my questions is can I resign my job here in US? or do they send me back to india for notice period/resignation?. and my sencond question is i will be back to india on April 2015..so can i apply new jobs from india and how my H1-B sponsor will be going to change/transfer?…Please let me know..Thanks.

  2. rukepedia on November 26, 2014 at 12:26 AM

    Hi Raghu, other friends..
    My company has offered L1 and my
    passport is due to expire in October, 2015. I would like to any
    precautions, tips that i should take care of for applying the visa form.

    I have never been to US in the past but had been to UK, BELGIUM and
    CHINA on business trips. My current passport address is in CHENNAI and
    am living in BANGALORE for last 4 years. Could you please let me should i
    need to change my address or directly renew my passport now itself?
    Also, the general trend is who ever gets relocated to US on L1, company
    will H1 in the next available H1 quota. Please let me know the pros and

    Thanks in advance.

  3. Rudresh on November 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM

    Hi Folks ,
    The following piece of information will surely interest thousands of H4 visa holders in United states of america , I wanted to know some informations regarding the H4 visa and the recent changes in the immigration laws in the united states. First of all i appreciate Mr. Raghuram Sukumar’s efforts to help all those H4 ’s who are in need of guidance and informations. I some times wonder how he can can make it possible to use his time doing multitasking like Blogs, forums, Interviews,articles, video conferencing and provide information on internet. Now to brief you about my situation ;I came to the United states exactly six months back along with my wife from India , she work for a reputed IT firm and i came on my H4 visa . We are going through very rough phase of our life because in our societal settings Husband coming on H4 and not working is really stressful emotionally as well as financially. But i had plans to get into universities here to continue my teaching profession or do research enrolling into Ph.D in chemistry , but with the change in the education system and my average GPA and GRE scores i am struggling to get into universities and to maintain family life. Now with the after effect of amendment to immigration law by president Obama,my wife came up with a news from her office yesterday that her employer have initiated Green card to all her employees onsite. That came as a shock for me because after all these hardships here, just in six months, We had planned to get back to our country so that i start working in my past profession and solve all these personal problems which arised because of my unemployment due to the law here.So please guide me what will be prudent for me now?Should we go back? If we stay here are there any hopes in near future ?I have heard from you that All H4’s will not be benefited from these amendments only those whose green card filing is in second stage that is i140 stage are eligible. So please let me know what will be my condition if i decide to stay here after the GC initiation for my wife.

  4. Md Habibe Azam Hakki on November 20, 2014 at 3:14 AM

    Actually I am unknown about H1B visa. one company has told me they will process my papers and finally submit to the USA government for lottery. I want to know, actually there has any lottery option in H1B visa procedure. Or It is fake?

  5. RFE on September 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

    We filed for my husband H1b and got thru lottery.

    RFE received: 6th June 2014

    RFE responded: 1st August 2014 (Date when Attorney sent it to USCIS)

    Status remains in RFE for more than a month now and haven’t even changed to RFE RR.

    Requested our attorney to change the Regular to Premium processing on 5th September.

    Can anyone help how much days it takes to convert the processing from regular to premium.

    Also, will there be any email indicating 15 calendar days time frame started ?

  6. simpdaisy on September 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM

    can u pls give the contact number of consultancy who got ur h1 visa approved in india.I already have h1 and want to go back to us

    • pmrao on September 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

      As stamping is done,better to go to US and from there try for transfer