New Zealand is now one of emerging leading destinations to Study Abroad. This page will give you the required information for a prospective student planning to Study in New Zealand.
Mr. Grahame Morton, New Zealand High Commissioner to India said,
India is one of New Zealand’s key export education markets. Education is a key sector that helps create the people to people links that support good relations. New Zealand provides quality education in a safe and welcoming environment with a range of lifestyle and recreation options for students. The focus of our education system on excellence, creativity and innovation and nurturing work-ready graduates is something that Indian families value.
Recent Student Trends from India
- 2017: 118,300 International Students in New Zealand
- 2014: Over 20,000 students from India studied at New Zealand
- 2015: 22% increase year to date in total student visas issued to Indian nationals.
- 2004 to 2014: 1200% Growth in Indian Students Studying in New Zealand
Education System in New Zealand
Universities in New Zealand
- All New Zealand universities are government owned and funded.
- There are eight universities in New Zealand offering degree program
Here is a map of New Zealand University and its Locations.
Here is the list of Universities in New Zealand
- Auckland University of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- University of Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- University of Waikato
- Victoria University of Wellington
Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics
- There are 20 Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs).
- All ITPs are government-owned (just like Universities). International student cal apply to Study in Universities or ITP's
- Courses are based on practical experience.
- Degree from ITP's is equivalent to degrees from Universities.
- You can earn credits for attending courses in ITP's that can be applied towards a degree or Diploma.
Degrees in New Zealand
- Undergraduate Programs
- Bachelors Degree
- Bachelor Degree with Honours
- Postgraduate Program
- Graduate Diploma
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Masters Degree
Academic System - Semesters
There are two semesters in one academic year in New Zealand.
- Semester 1: February to June
- Semester 2: July to November.
- Semester 3: November and February (Summer school)
Taking courses in Summer School will help the total time to graduate from your degree.
Summer in USA: June to August.
In Southern Hemisphere, Summer is in the between November and February.
Cost of Education in New Zealand
Following chart provides a cost comparison between India and New Zealand.
English Language Requirements - IELTS
Universities accept IELTS Academic or IELTS. Check with the university for exact admission requirements.
Example IELTS Requirements from AUT
- Doctorate: 6.5 overall with 7 in Writing and all other bands 6.0 or higher
- Postgraduate: 6.5 overall with all bands 6 or higher
- Graduate Diplomas: 6.5 overall with all bands 6 or higher
- Bachelor's Degree: 6 overall with all bands 5.5 or higher
Employment for Students
Student can work part-time and full time and eligible for Work Authorization after graduation.
- Student can work 20 hours per week
- Student studying degree that is 12 months or longer can work Full time in Summer Months
Work Permit in New Zealand:
Changes were made to Post Study Work Permit from Nov 26, 2019.
From 26 November 2018, you can apply for a Post-study work visa that lets you work for any employer in NZ for 1, 2 or 3 years.
New Visa Applicants:
If you graduate with Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree ( Level 7 qualification or higher) you will be eligible to apply for 3 years of Post Study Work Permit.
Current visa holders:
If you already have a Post Study Work Visa (open), you can apply for a Post-study Work Visa for up to 2 years.
Partners of students (like a spouse) can also apply for the work permit, which is valid for the duration of the course. Unlike in the USA, F2 visa holders (dependents of F1 student visa) who are not allowed to work.
NZ Permanent Residence:
- New Zealand is one of the top immigrant-friendly countries ( including Australia, Canada).
- Graduates from Universities in New Zealand are eligible to apply for NZ Permanent Residence in their first two years of work in NZ ( if they meet the minimum qualification criteria)
Green Card in the USA can take like 10 to 20 years for national born in India, China, etc.
Credits: For Images