Study PhD Degree in USA
FAQ’s About Masters Degree in USA
- How to Apply for PhD in USA?
- Timeline for Admission
- Funding for PhD
- Finding Research Areas
- Additional Resources
Read the difference between Bachelors, Masters and PhD Degree (graphically explained). Move forward with rest of this page.
Even before applying to PhD programs, YOU SHOULD know your research areas and interests. If not, start with Masters Degree (with Thesis Option).
Far too many students apply for PhD as applying for Masters Degree.
- Know Research Area
- Find Professors Working on Same Research topics
- Talk to the Professor.
- Ask if he/she is accepting new students.
- After confirmation apply for the Program.
- Deadlines: Oct 2016 to Feb 2017
- Take Tests: Any time before Dec 2016
- Admission Results: Jan to April 2017
- F1 Visa: June to Aug, 2017
- Arrive in USA: Aug 2017
It would take lot longer than 2 months to find Professors and Universities to apply for PhD. So, plan to complete GRE and TOEFL/IELTS as early a possible.
Here’s an estimate of what a typical duration for PhD will look like.
|Milestone||Time Since Admission|
|Complete Courses||1.5 – 2 years|
|Submit Proposal||2 – 2.5 years|
|Admission to candidacy||2.5 – 3.5 years|
|Dissertation defense||3 – 5 years|
As you can see, PhD can take upto 5 years to complete.
By converting MS into PhD, you can save up to 2 years of college time, provided you have identified the problem to solve.
In addition to scholarships, they would also get Assistantships (Research or Teaching). This would lower the Fees to In-State Fees in Public Universities. Assistantships also pays monthly stipend ($500 to $2000) depending on the project, university and professor.
After reading all 5 articles, then think if PhD is something you really want to do with your life.
Following is a generic checklist, but this should give an overview of what to expect during the admission process.
Each college should have it’s specific set of admission requirements. Refer to university website of the college you plan to apply for additional details
- Photocopy of Passport Biographical pages
- Find Research Interests
- Contact Professors
- Find if they are accepting new students in professor’s lab.
- Then Submit Online Application (or Common Application)
- Pay Application Fees
- Test Scores – GRE (most likely)
- English Test Scores – TOEFL, IELTS
- Education Documents
- All College Level transcripts (Official Diplomas or Mark Sheets or Transcripts)
- Financial Affidavit (with Bank statement)
- Submit application before the deadline
- Scholarship Application Form (if required)
- All the documents submitted should be in English )or translated required)
- Transcripts Evaluation (if required)
- Recommendation Letter
- Statement of Purpose
- Research Experience (abstract or copies of research papers)