Ashwin asks:I have submitted online application and paid the graduate school application fee using credit card. I have sent all the required documents to the university in the U.S. I have a few questions:
- Is it okay to put all the documents in the cover and send the package?
- Universities have asked not to use express mail service for P.O. box address. I plan to send using Blue Dart. What should I do?
College Application Package
This aspect of the graduate school application process is usually overlooked. Most of you would just insert all the documents into the cover and send (via mail or courier) the documents to the university.
I have to say that in the entire process, you have to show your organizational skills in every aspect of your application.
- How does one present a graduate application in a professional way?
- What goes into a graduate school application packet?
Organizing Application Materials
- Arrange the application materials in their proper order.
- Create an index page (or cover letter) that lists all the documents enclosed.
- This application index page should be the first document in the packet.
- Sort all the documents in the same order as listed in the index page.
- Use good quality paper to print the documents (resumé, SOP, etc.).
- If one set of document is more than 1 page, don’t print back to back. For instance, if your SOP is 2 pages, then print the second page in separate paper, and so on.
- Don’t staple the pages, instead use paper clips to join them.
- Include the online application submission confirmation page.
- Include online application fee payment receipt (if paid online).
- Don’t send a photo with the graduate school application packet.
- Include a copy of your GRE and TOEFL score reports.
- Include your name (or student ID assigned after submitting the online application) in all the documents.
- Your SOP, resumé, certificates, all the documents must bear your name/ID in every page.
- For transcripts and LOR, write name/ID using a pencil on top of each official transcript.
How to Mail the Package
Packages can be sent through two different ways:
- Postal Service (like the Indian Postal Service, Unites States Postal Service, etc.)
- Express Courier Service (such as FedEx, DHL, Blue Dart, DTDC, UPS, etc.)
Universities will provide you with 2 addresses to send the documents.
- Regular physical address
- P.O. box address
If you are sending your application through courier services, you HAVE to mail the application packet to a regular physical address. Courier services will NOT deliver the packets to a P.O. box address.
If the physical address is NOT listed in the college or university website and you plan to send the application through a courier service, get the address from the graduate school (call or email) and courier the package to the specified address given to you.
Related: How to apply for Colleges in the USA