So, you are considering attending college or university in Canada. Next question would be how to apply for Canada Study Permit. As Non-Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, Canada Study Permit (Canada Student Visa) is required to study in Canada.
Unlike US student visa, student have to submit the application for Study permit to Canada High Council and they will process the Canada Study permit visa application.
Here is a quick overview of various steps you have to complete to get Canada Study permit
- Select College or Universities to Apply
- Get Admission from Canadian University or College
- Verify Canada Visa Eligibility
- Apply for Canada Study Permits
- Provide Additional Info or Visa Interview (if required)
- Canada Study Permit Visa Decision
Select College or Universities to Apply
You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. application process to Canadian Universities to greater extent is similar to US Universities. Refer to University admissions site to learn more about the programs offered.
Then follow the instruction, submit application and once you get accepted into University, then you can apply for Canada Study Permit.
Verify Canada Visa Eligibility
Before you apply for Canada Study Permit, check if you satisfy the following requirements, in order to get Canada Study Permits
- You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
- tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
- You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
- You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Apply for Canada Study Permits
Determine how long it will take Canada High Council to process and approve the application for Canada Study Permit in your country.
Processing times varies between countries. Here is a sample list of processing times for few countries
|Bangkok – Thailand||5|
|Beijing – China||4|
|Chandigarh – India||3|
|Colombo – Sri Lanka||4|
|Dhaka – Bangladesh||5|
|Ho Chi Minh – Vietnam||10|
|Hong Kong – China||7|
|Islamabad – Pakistan||10|
|Jakarta – Indonesia||4|
|Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia||6|
|Manila – Philippines||12|
|New Delhi – India||4|
In India – Canada Study permit application can be submitted at local VFS Global Service centers.
Once you have collected and completed all required documents for Canada Study Permit, you can either mail the package or submit the application in person.
After the visa office receives your application, it might request more information or documents. These may include the following:
- Medical information: In most cases, you will need a medical examination. A visa officer will send you instructions if you need a medical examination. This may add more than three months to the processing time of your application. Find more information about medical examinations.
- Security information: If you want to study in Canada, you and any family members who come to Canada with you, and who are 18 years of age and over, may have to provide police certificates. Find more information about the security checks.
Canada Study Permit – Decision
If your application is approved, you will receive the following:
- A letter of introduction will be sent to you confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit. Bring the letter of introduction with you to show to immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada.
- A temporary resident visa (TRV) will be issued if you are from a designated country for which Canada requires a visa. (You can find a list of designated countries in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.) The TRV will be in your passport. The expiry date on this visa indicates the date by which you must enter Canada. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires. The TRV will also indicate if you can enter Canada only once (a single-entry visa) or if you can enter Canada multiple times (a multiple-entry visa).
If your application is not approved
If your application is not approved, the visa office will send you a letter explaining why your application has been refused. An application might be refused for several reasons:
- You have not shown proof that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in Canada.
- You have not passed the medical examination if one was required.
- You have not satisfied the visa officer that your primary intention in Canada is to study.
- You have not satisfied the visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your period of study.
Thats it folks. If you follow the procedure and apply on time, you should be able to get visa for Canada.
Process to get study permit is not as difficult, when compared to US Student F1 Visa.