Comprehensive Immigration Bill was introduced in U.S. Senate few back.
Bill is about 1500 pages with sweeping changes to current U.S. Immigration system.
- Name of the Bill : Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013.
- Introduced by Gang of Eight Senators : Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Robert Menendez (D- N.J.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Michael Bennet (D-Col.) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.).
- Bill Number : S.744
Here is a quick summary of changes proposed in the bill
- Increase in H1B Cap from 65,000 to 110,000 ( max of 180,000)
- H1B Fees can be upto $10,000
- Change Advanced Degree cap to STEM Advanced Degree Cap
- Increase in STEM Advanced Degree cap from 20,000 to 25,000
- 30 Job posting in DOL website for hiring H1B Workers
- Minimum Wage Level 2 Pay for H1B Workers
IT outsourcing companies will feel the pain if this bill is passed.
Similar restrictions apply for L visa as well.
- Add Dual-intent provision ( no need to prove that you will return back to home country after studies)
- Green Card for STEM PhD Graduates (Masters degree not included)
Employment Based Green Card
- Points based Merit system in 5 years
- Several provisions to eliminate current green card wait times
- Recapture of unused Green Card Numbers
- EB2 STEM graduates within last 5 years will not come under Cap
- Work Authorization for H4 ( if home country allows dependent work authorization)
- Eliminates per country cap limits
- Add 2 new startup visa options
- Non-Immigrant Visa
- Immigrant Visa
This is a quick summary of S.7544 bill.
Do you have any questions about the new bill?
P.S: This is just a bill, not a law. Bill becomes a law only if it’s approved in Senate, House and Signed by President.