Guide: H1B Visa Plan B: Learn More - 8 Options - Pros & Cons

Registering for GRE with Old Address in the Passport

Question from Abhishek.

I had been for following your blog for few months from now ..Its been really helpful to me.

GRE Passport I am an aspirant for Fall 2013. I have booked my exam date on 5th sept,2012. But I have an issue with my passport.

The address mentioned in it is of my college(since it was made through my university reference).

Is it very necessary to get the address changed?

I have two problems here:

  1. The passport office has change regulations now and this requires a reissue of passport. As you know its a tiresome and time consuming deal.
  2. My permanent address is in Patna, but i m currently working in Bangalore. I can hardly muster time in near future to go there and hang around there for few weeks to get my passport reissued(it requires submission of passport, a lot of forms to be filled up, police verification and lot more) Moreover I cant get holidays in near future from my company.

If its really necessary to change the address before appearing for visa interview, I can try doing that after I m done with my GRE and TOEFEL exams as well as applying to universities.

But there is another problem with that plan. I have been told from passport office that my passport number gets changed. I am not sure if the universities mention my passport number while sending acceptance letters or I-20.

If they do so and later on my number gets changed due to re-issuance of passport, will that be a problem while appearing for visa interviews? What if doubts about the authenticity of my profile is raised due to this change in number?..Please enlighten me with relevant solution to this..

GRE and Address in the Passport

According to ETS following you need to meet the following ID requirements

  • All test takers are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification each time they report to a test center. It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up-to-date and available on the day of the test.
  • For Test Takers in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nigeria –  You MUST present a valid passport with your name, photograph and signature as your primary ID document. There are no exceptions to this policy.

It’s ok to have your old address in the passport.

I recommend you register for GRE using online registration. So, you can enter your current address without mistakes.

Do take  TWO forms of ID. Passport is mandatory, if you are taking GRE in India.

The following ID documents are generally acceptable as supplemental ID:

  • Government-issued ID card (including, but not limited to, those listed under Primary ID Documents)
  • Student ID card
  • Confirmation of identity letter from your educational institution. This letter must be typed or printed on the original letterhead of the educational institution you attend(ed) and, in addition to meeting all of the ID Document Requirements, must include your date of birth and the date issued. Additionally, a school official’s signature and the school seal must be present and both must overlap your photograph. Such letters are valid for only one year from the date issued.


If you have multiple firts or last name in your passport, then read this – How to register for GRE with multiple first or last names.



  1. Eric on October 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM

    I’ve encountered challenges while filling the online GRE registration form. It kept telling me invalid address. I need your help.

    Thank you.

  2. Sri Vishnu on June 12, 2016 at 6:06 AM

    Hello HSB
    Address in my passport is my college address
    So while applying to GRE which address should i give?

    • Raghuram Sukumar on June 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM

      Your present address or home address.

  3. Sri Vishnu on June 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM

    My address in passport is my university address
    While applying for GRE test which address should I give?

  4. Rajmohan Asokan on June 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

    Hello HSB
    I too have a doubt with regard to change of address. I would be applying for Fall 2013 and I have planned to take GRE in September 2012. The problem is that I would be shifting my residence in January 2013. So Which address should I be provide to the universities? Also I will have to change the address in my passport. Does that create any problem during VI? Or After getting an admit, Could I request the university to issue new I20 with the changed details(Passport No. and address in case if it is mentioned in the old I20)?

    • HSB on June 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

      There is no link between the address you give is same as in passport. You have ot make sure, you will get the mail and courier in the address you give in the application.

      • Rajmohan Asokan on June 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

        Thank you HSB!

  5. Padma Priya on June 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

    Hi. I have completed my final year exams just few days a ago and appearing for gre on 21st june. How could i get the bonafide certificate as I ve completed my B.E there?

    • sam on June 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

      @ padma
      after completing final exams, the college will issue course completion certificate or provisional certificate(as happened in my case 6years back )and I did attend visa interview and get F1 visa. but VO would not issue visa right away and they will ask for 8th semester mark sheet and once you submit they will issue visa even without the original degree diploma(which i got only after 4months after graduation and almost after completing 1st semester in USA)

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

New Comments Policy
Please use the Happy Schools Forums to post your Questions. Use the Comments Section to add value or contriute to the Article, not for Q&A. Questions posted in the Comments section will be Deleted.