If you have multiple first names or multiple surnames, how to create the account and register for the GRE Test or TOEFL Test?
My name is Arun Jxxx Pxxx Bxxx Rxxx as per my passport and other certificates. For GRE (planning on taking it in november), the system doesn’t allow me to use spaces in the first or last names. Should I enter them without any spaces? I heard there is a provision for changing the name at the exam centre. I am confused.
First Name (Given Name) – Arun Jxxx Pxxx
Surname (or Last Name) – Bxxx Rxxx is my surname. Kindly help.
GRE Registration – Names
ETS have clearly specified what to do if you have multiple names as first and last names in their website.
And in old days (a few years back), if you had space between the name, spaces were not allowed. But, things have changed recently and you can use space between the names. You have no idea how much confusion this has caused to Test Takers in the past.
Old Instructions for GRE Registration
- The name you use when you register must exactly match the name on the identification (ID) documents (without spaces or accents) that you will present on the day of the test. If it does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.
- When you register, you must supply your entire last (family/surname) name. If you have a two-part last name, be sure to supply your complete last name as it appears on the ID documents (without spaces or accents) that you will present on the day of the test.
- Be sure to provide your entire first (given) name (without spaces or accents). Do not register under a nickname and do not register with only an initial as your first name.
- If you register by phone, please be sure you are registered under your entire first and last names as they appear on your ID.
- If your online account has already been created, please confirm that the name on your ID documents still matches the name that appears in your account. If they do not, contact GRE Services.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents match your admission ticket on the day of the test.
New Instructions – What Name to Use for GRE Registration
As you can see, while creating your account to Register for the GRE, spaces are allowed in the Name Field. Here’s is a screenshot from the Test Takers account creation page.
Here’s how you would enter your name to register for GRE Test as per new Instructions from ETS.
If you have additional problems with GRE Registration, please do post them in the questions below.
Series: GRE Registration vs Names
- What names to use when Registering for the GRE Test
- How to Register for GRE with Multiple Names (this article)
- How to Change the Name After GRE Registration (But Before the Test)
- How to change the name after taking the GRE Test
- Problems without Surname in the Passport, GRE, Transcripts and College Application
- How to Change the Name in the Passport in the USA (& why you should change)
- No Surname in the Passport. Apply to US Universities?
- If Last Name Changes, Would GRE Scores Become invalid?
- How to complete DS-160 without Surname in the Passport
- I changed my name in the Passport to avoid problems