While registering for GRE, if you have multiple names as first and last names, registration system will not allow to use space between the names.
My name is Arun Jxxx Pxxx Bxxx Rxxx as in my passport and other certificates. I had no problems while registering for TOEFL(nov 20th), but for GRE(planning on taking it in november), the system doesn’t allow me to use spaces in the first or last names. Should I enter them without any spaces? i heard there is a provision for changing the name at the exam centre. I am confused.
Arun Jxxx Pxxx is my first/given name, and Bxxx Rxxx is my surname. Kindly help.
GRE Registration – Names
ETS have clearly specified what to do if you have multiple names as first and last names in their website.
- The name you use when you register must exactly match the name on the identification (ID) documents (without spaces or accents) that you will present on the day of the test. If it does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.
- When you register, you must supply your entire last (family/surname) name. If you have a two-part last name, be sure to supply your complete last name as it appears on the ID documents (without spaces or accents) that you will present on the day of the test.
- Be sure to provide your entire first (given) name (without spaces or accents). Do not register under a nickname and do not register with only an initial as your first name.
- If you register by phone, please be sure you are registered under your entire first and last names as they appear on your ID.
- If your online account has already been created, please confirm that the name on your ID documents still matches the name that appears in your account. If they do not, contact GRE Services.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents match your admission ticket on the day of the test.
In the example above you should be registering for GRE by using the following
- First Name – ArunJxxxPxxx
- Surname – BxxxRxxx
It kind looks odd for ETS to not have software coded to handle spaces between the names, when its possible t have spaces while registering for TOEFL.