Skip to content

List of Financial Documents and Bank Balance

Here are some interesting questions about financial documents
I am applying for the fall semester for a PhD course in pharmaceuticals. I am currently in the last semester of my bachelor’s in pharmacy. I have taken my GRE and my scores are Q = 740, V = 520, A = 4.
I’m taking my TOEFL this 16th. I am applying before the TOEFL due to the deadlines.
My query is regarding the financial documents that U.S. colleges and universities ask in the application package. Can you please tell me what are these financial documents that must be sent and what are the ideal conditions of those documents (like the amount in the account, etc.)?

Financial Documents

Before you continue reading this article, take a look first at the post, FAQs on Bank Statements for US Graduate School Applications.

To give you an actual example, please check the international student admission Checklist from University of Texas at Arlington.

The UTA has clearly specified the required list of documents to be completed and which documents should arrive before the deadlines.

In the above listed financial documents for the College of Engineering, they have requested applicants to complete 3 separate forms:

  1. Page 1 by the Applicant (STATEMENT OF RESOURCES FORM)
  2. Page 2 by the Sponsor (SPONSOR’S STATEMENT FORM)
  3. Page 3 by the Bank (BANK AFFIDAVIT FORM)

They have clearly stated the minimum required amount for 9 month and 12 month study programs. So, you will be required to have a bank balance greater than the 9 months study ($24,878.00) program.

You might ask the following question:

I received an I-20 for 9 months of study, can I take courses for the entire 12 months?

Yes, you can take courses in Fall, Spring and Summer semesters of the same year. The above balance is required to get admission and an I-20.

After you have started your first semester, there is virtually nothing that will stop you from taking your courses for all those 12 months.

Bank Letter head Statement

Some universities will not provide a very clear template like UTA. If that’s the case, find out how much is the tuition fee for a 9 month or 12 month program from the school’s website.

Then get your bank statement from your bank (the bank manager has to sign) and get an financial affidavit in an Rs 10 Stamp Paper.

You can also send an email to the graduate school admission office (of the university you’re applying at) and get the required bank balance (minimum required amount).

Then you will have to send both:

  1. Bank Statement in Original letterhead
  2. Financial Affidavit in Stamp Paper

I how this post is able to answer your questions.


  1. Luther on May 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

    Hi HSB,
    I had submitted a bank letter to the university for getting my I20.
    It has all the information like – name ,a/c no , funds available in savings account, bank seal ,etc..
    Can I use the same letter for my visa interview aswell? I had taken this letter on 21st april 2012 and my visa would be scheduled by the end of June 2012.

    please reply.

  2. rupesh on March 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

    i am rupesh. i got my i-20. i am planning in march for my interview and how much money should be shown for embassy for u.s. could u please help me.
    thanks in advance.

  3. pratyusha on November 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM

    in general affidavit is sent by post or will it be asked to send online while applying?

  4. subhamgam khanna on December 21, 2010 at 2:26 AM

    I will sit for Gre this month. I will apply for Phd in molecular biology. My bank statement will go around 10000$. But as I have found in the happy school blog that I have to show the first year course fee which is around 25000$, then will it be wavered if I get a fellowship from the university where I will be applying? Or still they will ask for the first year course fee for security…. please answer me….

  5. harry on November 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM


    my name is hardeep and i am an undergraduate student. i got my i20 from a community college and as well as from university. but i want to go for community college. i just wanna know, is embassy give visa to students who want's to attend community colleges instead of universities. i am in doubt my chances will be decrease of getting visa if tell counselor going to community college rather than university. please help me as soon as possible

  6. sunil kumar on November 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM


    i have applied for wichita state total one year fee is 24000$ but my bank bala is 15000$. plz tell me what can i do. my interview date is on 22 november.

  7. Vanaraj on May 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM

    I graduated from smith college with master degree in Biological sciencse in the USA. I wish to go for Doctorate program in ecology.Is it gre and toefl required to get into the US unversities?

  8. urvi on February 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM

    hi i am planning for my msc in the us but the problem is i dont have enough cash in the bank to show for getting a bank statement as most of the money is invested in ppf fds and shares please help me find a solution to this

  9. sindhu on January 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

    can anyone please let me know if the financial affidavit can be on a RS.10 stamp paper or is it must to be on Rs.20..its an emergency..please reply soon

  10. richa on January 10, 2010 at 9:06 PM


    can anyone send me the list of (masters) in electronics universities in florida and gre and tofel cutoff..plzz help mee

  11. rekha on January 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM


    am searching for phd courses in pharmacy .so plzz help me by sending the universities list and the gre cutoff and tofel required for phd courses…..plzz

  12. Gita on January 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM

    Hi all,

    What if I am applying for a PhD?The course includes a fee waiver. Why the requirement to show a bank balance that makes me look capable of paying a non-existent fee?

    • Dipakkumar on January 12, 2010 at 8:54 PM

      Have u got any information for getting PH.D from US? I am also trying for the same but is there any idea about the fee/ scholarship/assistantship and required bank balance to show?
      In which area u r applying, since fee depends upon the specilizaiton and faculty also.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.