Guest post by KGI’s Assistant Director of Recruitment.
Read Amanda’s previous post about KGI’s Tuition Fees and Financial Aid.
To apply to KGI’s MBS program you need to complete the following steps:
- Complete the online application which includes 2 written essays, an updated resume/CV, fellowship questionnaire and contact information for those you are requesting a letter of recommendation from
- Send an official copy of your transcripts
- Send official copies of your GRE and TOEFL scores
Once all documents have been received by KGI, applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
An interview can be conducted over the telephone or Skype.
The purpose of the interview is to get to know our applicants better and clarify any questions we have after reviewing the application.
This allows us to evaluate each applicant on a holistic level and ensure a great fit for both the student and KGI.
All applicants will receive notification of their admission decision along with an award letter should they qualify for any available fellowship opportunities.
Incoming students are encouraged to network online with current students and others planning to join KGI through a private forum.
This is a great way to get an idea of what life is like in California, ask questions about the program and even find potential roommates.
Our International Student Advisor works closely with admitted students throughout the visa process. In addition, the Claremont Colleges provide a great service to incoming International students matching students with a host family, providing airport pick up and other support upon arrival.
KGI embraces the different cultures represented in our student body and encourage on campus festivals such as Diwali.
Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) provides several ways for students, and specifically international students, to be able to cover the costs of tuition, fees and living at KGI.
KGI’s tuition is very competitive with other graduate schools throughout the state of California and the United States and lower than the average professional program such as an MBA.
Our current tuition (Fall 2012) is $37,900 for our Master of Bioscience Program and $25,200 for our Postdoctoral Professional Masters program.
On average, international students should expect approximately $16,000 in housing, food and transportation per year.
Fellowships are awarded to MBS applicants for multiple reasons. We offer three types of fellowship awards:
- Need-based aid is awarded to those students who have a financial need for additional funding. This is determined by the responses to the Fellowship Application for MBS applicants only.
- Merit-based aid is awarded to those students that have exceptional academic accolades and achievements. Student performance on the fellowship assessment is also taken into consideration for merit-based aid.
- Named Fellowships are awarded to students who meet the specific criteria set forth by our generous donors. Please see the Fellowship page for a sampling of our named fellowships.
KGI also offers a unique opportunity for international students in the form of an international student loan through the KGI International Student Loan Fund.
With a job placement rate of approximately 95% after graduating and with an average salary of $70,000 starting, the return on the investment you make on your education at KGI is strong and your ability to pay back your loans becomes easier.
Amanda Wirtz is Assistant Director of Recruitment at www.kgi.edu