Reading Comprehension (RC) section in GRE Verbal section is easy to tackle. If you get long boring passage as first 4 to 6 questions, then you are in for some tough Verbal section (score) ahead.
You can improve your GRE Reading Comprehension score by practice. If you have regular reading habits (Magazines, Novels, News Papers) your are very likely to get high score in GRE Verbal Section.
But, not everyone have reading habits, where can you find passages to practice for GRE RC section?
GRE Reading Comprehension passages would include topics you don’t read in text books.
So, you need to have skills to understand the main idea and attitude of the passage within a few hundred words. You can use following websites and blogs to practice reading comprehension for GRE Exam. As you read different articles, which are usually lengthy, you will
- get used to the format and style
- develop a reading style
- comprehend ides in less time
- relate similar ideas and form opinions
GRE Reading Comprehension Practice Sites
11 websites listed are U.S. based and you will get used to style of writing and language. Reading articles written for other countries will not be of much help. [GRE Reading Comprehension – Books]
How to practice Reading Comprehension
Not everyone reading this will spend will put in enough effort even to visit those sites. And visiting the sites few times will not improve your GRE Reading Comprehension score. You have to have develop regular reading habit.
Here is a action plan for you
- Subscribe to RSS Feeds using Google Reader from few ( or all) of the above listed sites. (If you don’t know how to use Google Reader, you better get used to it)
- Open Google Reader same time when you check your email
- Scan through the new articles published. Pick a topic and read entire article.
- Most of the articles will be related to U.S. Politics will be dry and boring to read, but you have to force yourself to read few such articles.
- Form a habit of reading articles atleast 10 to 20 minutes per day for 3 to 4 months.
- You will see considerable change in the way you solve GRE Reading Comprehension problems
Don’t expect to to see improvement within 1 week or 1 month. It takes time and dedication, if you don’t have natural ability to read passages, then you have to work hard to develop the skills. Also, While reading the articles, don’t read like you are reading a book for an exam.
If you are not used to reading magazines and websites, blogs and only used to reading (and/or memorizing) text book, then you are very likely to have tough time in GRE Verbal. So, by incorporating reading habits to your daily routine, you have better chance to improve your reading skills and lead to higher GRE Verbal Score.