I am a regular reader of HSB from very beginning, when HSB was launched.
HSB has helped me a lot in GRE. The posts here are very good and accurate in information. The HSB guy doesn’t post anything according his knowledge, whatever he posts is substantiated.
Anyways this was just a token of regard to HSB I know I have to share my experience and not advertise HSB ;).
In short: Great Work Mr. HSB and yah I am jealous of you for every new apple product you buy :P. Hope now I can also buy them in US.
GRE was my dream from a very long time. I think I got to know about it when I was in 3rd semester of my engineering degree from a friend of mine. From then I used to keep looking at US universities websites, GRE forums on orkut and blogs related to it.
I tried to prepare for GRE many times but always gave up after 2 or 3 day while mugging up the huge barron wordlist.
Contacted coaching institute many times but never joined them due to hectic schedule of college. Though it was not that hectic but HEY! It is engineering college dude we have so many things to do. 🙂
GRE at 8th Semester
At last I got serious about GRE after my 8th semester. It was too late though, I must have given GRE after my 6th semester.
The pattern change was something which made me serious about taking GRE before it happens. I read several numbers of posts many of them on HSB only, saying that new GRE will be a hard nut to crack. Since, I was not good in verbal I decided to take GRE before the pattern changes.
At that time I had offer letters of 3 companies which I tried to delay as long as possible to take my GRE. 😀 My GRE date was on 16 July which I rescheduled to 30 July so that I can get 30 days time for my GRE as my engineering was getting over in last week of may.
Giving GRE after my 8th semester was a very tough decision to make. To prepare for it I have to leave Accenture as they had their training of 14 days in June and joining from 6 July.
I really wanted to join Accenture among the 3 job offers I had. But as it is said to get something in your life you have to leave something. We have to make choices in our lives and stick to them!
GRE Study Plan One Month
I joined Princeton review classes in Bangalore; it was a crash course batch (as they name it) with only 3 students in it. I will not get in any detail of what it covered and how it was because it’s not worth mentioning on HSB.
Just know this no matter what other says of coaching classes being good, they make you practice regularly, you give some hours daily, they teach you tips and trick etc. etc. etc. remember only thing coaching classes are just wastage of time because:
- No one can make you remember words (Note: Wordlists are still very important for new GRE else reading comprehension and test completion will be “Taare Zameen Par”.
- The tips and tricks to solve verbal questions are already written in book. If you are planning to do M.S. then you already have enough skills to read and understand a book on yourself. You don’t need a mentor to guide you.
- Maths: If you are science students it will not be a problem for you at all, just need a little but practice. For others who are weak in maths you can easily practice maths daily from a good book like Nova Math Prep Course (the best for old pattern; don’t know how good it is for new pattern) and score good in maths. If you are seriously very bad in maths then you may need someone to guide you. A friend, relative good in quants will do. No need to spend 10 to 20k for it.
- AWA: No one can make you a good writer in 1 or 2 months. They only tell the structure and what all to write and what not to write; which you can find in any book. (Barron’s is sufficient to know structure and ETS official guide have many sample essays with a scoring of 6)
All sections covered. So, in short avoid coaching classes unless you have lots of money and even if you have then buy a new cell phone or keep it to explore GOA! After getting an awesome score in GRE.
Note: This is my personal experience GRE Study plan for one month, there are many people who feel that coaching classes are beneficial; no offense to them.
Coming back – GRE Study Plan
I just had 28 days to prepare. In those 28 days; it took me some time to get adjusted to the city and the place where I was staying (my friend’s house). It was a tough time I was not able to prepare much at my friend’s house 🙁 (With movies, parties, etc.)
Time passed like a flowing river. At last 30th June was on calendar. I was not completely done with my preparations. I had just complete Princeton Review Hit parade and Beyond the Hit Parade and 7 or 8 GRE wordlists from major tests wordlist.
Quant’s was not a matter of concern for me and for AWA I was not bothered after practicing 3 essays.
First GRE Exam : 30 June 2011
- Quant’s: 740
- Verbal: 350
- AWA: 3.5
- Total: 1090
I was completely dejected by my score especially in verbal section. Though I never got above 400 in my mock tests but I was expected database to repeat and above all expecting a lot from my luck to score more than 1200. But I was hapless.
It was a tough time. I did not know at all what to do next; whether to take GRE in old pattern one more time or take it in new pattern.
Many people told me not to take it again in old pattern as I will not see a lot of improvement in just 20 days. But at last no matter what others say it is always your call. Finally, I decided to take again in old pattern only, there were 3 reasons:
- 3. I did not wanted my 25 days work to go in waste like this and again invest money in new books 😀
- 2. I have already lost 1 job offer and delaying it further would have made things worse.
- 1. the most vital reason: I believed in myself. I believed that with a constant and dedicated effort of 20 days I will be able to crack it!
I was back in my city. The only thing I did from 2 July to 20 July was studying 🙂
You should not believe on that completely because you know real engineering students never take studies seriously: P (We have so many things to in life: D). But from morning 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. 90% of time I spent on studying.
The only thing I did was mugging barrons wordlist nothing else. I was completely sure about the fact that I don’t need any preparation for quants and if luck don’t f*** me this time i will get 790 or 800.
My GRE Study Plan Included many things: Do barrons wordlist, revise them, practice big book etc etc… But we only have 24 hours in a day. I was not able to do everything till 20th. But I managed to master 40 wordlist of barrons, gave 5 to 6 mock test only verbal section and squeeze everything out of powerprep.
On 21st July I was in Bangalore. I had already decided that I am not going to study anything on the last day. But anxiety – I kept on revising words.
My GRE Study Plan for One Month – Part 2 where Rohit Scored 1420 will be posted tomorrow.