Question from reader on when to travel to USA.
Thanks to the Reader for giving permission to post the I-20.
Hello, I need some suggestion regarding my travel plan to USA for pursuing PhD in Chemistry.
Attached is my I-20 where two dates are mentioned
- 1st is the graduate school orientation
- 2nd is the last date of my registration to the course
I am confused about making my trip as due to the rule that I cannot come more than 30 days before the date mentioned in the I-20.
Can you please help me to clear this confusion. Shouldn’t I reach US before 20th of August?
I want to know when can I enter U.S? 1 month before 20th or 27th?
My profile: GRE V 148 Q 164 AWA 4.0 TOEFL 110. Acad. 73.9% in B.Sc and 75% in M.Sc 1st yr.(I am in the final yr now), have done two projects and applied to OSU,Michigan Ann Arbor, U Connecticut, FSU,USU,Kansas State University.
Got rejection from the 1st three and acceptance from the last three.
My visa has been granted already,the VO just asked me about my course of study ,i.e, research plan and just a few question regarding my acads. That’s all…:)
Sample I-20 with Full Waiver
F1 Visa Travel – 30 Days Rule
Here is the official rule that explains the 30 days restrictions while traveling to USA on F1 visa.
- Students are advised of the Department of Homeland Security regulation which requires that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20. Please consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the U.S.
- A beginning student who wants an earlier entry into the U.S. (more than 30 days prior to the course start date), must qualify for, and obtain a visitor visa. A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry. Before beginning any studies, he or she must obtain approval for a change to Exchange Visitor status, filing Form I-539, Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status and pay the fee. Also you must submit the required Form I-20 to the Department of Homeland Security office where the application is made. Please be aware that one cannot begin studies until the change of classification is approved.
Dates on I-20
- Graduate School Orientation – August 20 – 22, 2012 (Mandatory)
- Last Date to Report – August 27, 2012
According to 30 Days Rule, you can enter USA after July 28, 2012.
International students have to attend Mandatory student orientation before registering for the classes.
Start looking for an apartment to stay. I would plan to fly to USA sometime between Aug 5 to 15th.
Following articles will help with your travel preparation