Guest Post by Reader A about Tips to Follow While Writing an Email to Professor for Admission.
Email to Professor for Admission (Tips)
- As I said, check out their homepage and get an idea of what research they do. Check out their most recent papers and read the abstracts of some (slim chance you would get the whole paper anyway)!
- Prepare a short concise CV stating your experience and exposure. Don’t keep superfluous information like your 10th 12th percentages, GRE/TOEFL scores, some sport trophy or a fancy-dress competition u won in junior school or that you won the Fresher’s pageant in your freshman year.
- Keep only that which shows that you have the requisite potential for continuing a research on his project.
- Mention your overall GPA, if its decent, else not (or convert it to 4-scale, looks better.
- Limit this CV to two pages. Attach this CV with your mail. (Resume Format India vs USA)
- The cute-little paper clip symbol beside your mail may assure them you are just not another spammer, that you are serious and might stop your mail from getting deleted!
- State your interest in their work and how you got to know about them (the papers you read!) and what work would/could do under their guidance.
- Keep off those jargons out of your CV. They’ll know you are an empty pot clanging about.
- If you do have to mention them, you should be able to justify them.
- Be humble in writing email to professor for admission, but don’t be desperate. Like acting too flatteringly, being servile or overtly officious. Don’t give them the impression in your email to professor for admission that all your hopes are pinned on their reply.
- Behave as if you have other options while and you are trying out them all for size. But yeah…keep a check on the attitude….too much of it screws it too.
- Keep it simple, informal and sweet! And don’t ask for funding at the first go. Just say you are interested to work on their project!
- Never mail two profs from two different departments in the same university. I’d like to add that it’d be better if you don’t mail two professor’s from the same university simultaneously. Wait for sometime, if they don’t reply, mail the next.
- Address them as “Professor”. Don’t send out ones that start with “Sir” or “Madam” that indicate copy-pasted jobs. Write as if the email is exclusively meant for them. ( Read this – Golden Rules of Writing Effective Emails. )
- Indicate you are interested while emailing professors for admission for PhD or MS and PhD, because it’s assumed that MS students won’t take their research seriously. (Reason: PhD needs a mandatory thesis and research record, MS mostly doesn’t )
- If professor’s gives you a seemingly positive reply in their email, mention their names in your app ( some apps ask you the names of the prof you would like to work with) and/or in your SOP.
- If you mention their name in SOP and application, be sure what you boasted about in your email to professor for admission matches what you say in your SOP. Like the mail states you want to work in VLSI and it transforms to AI in your SOP. That’s inviting rejection. Sample SOPs
- Don’t mail on weekends. By the time they check it on Monday,your email will be piled upon by a ton of other emails from students like you. And it will be deleted. Mail them on weekdays, during working hours. THEIR working hours,not yours!
That’s all I can think of for now.
Enough with the tips on writing email to professor for admission.
Never be disheartened if they don’t reply back. They get tons of mails and most of them ignore them. I myself had to send out so many before I got a reply.
Current ratio of replies?
Send out 30 to 40 emails and expect one reply. And that’s considered high. So don’t give up, be an optimist and stick at it. Good times will follow!
Email to Professor’s : Series
Following series of articles will give further information about contacting professors before Graduate School Admission ( Both Masters and PhD Degree).
- How to contact Professor for Graduate School Admission
- Think Twice Before Contacting Professors via Email for Admission
- 11 Tips to Follow While Writing an Email to Professor ( this article )
- Email Template to Contact Graduate School Professors
- Sample Letter to Get Funding From University in USA
- I Sent Email And Got Favorable Response From Professors
- Reply from Professor is Disappointing About Grad School Admission