Transcript is mandatory document that has to be sent along with college/university application in additional to other documents. But, what is a transcript and how to get one in India?
According to Wiki
In United States education a transcript (Cumulative Record File, CRF, Permanent Record, or simply Record) refers to a copy of a student’s permanent academic record which usually means all courses taken, all grades received, all honors received and degrees conferred to a student. When students are thinking about changing schools, the cumulative transcripts usually get mailed from school to school.
Question from Abhay at 11 Common College Application Mistakes
I saw in the profile of the most of the USA universities that they need official transcripts to be sent directly by the last institution to their admission office in order to apply for phd positions.
My last institute is not sending my transcripts directly but they are able to provide the sealed transcripts saying me to sent it by myself. So if am sending the sealed and packed transcripts, will they accept it or not….
Transcripts in India
- Transcripts in India refers to Mark sheets (Cumulative or semester-wise).
- After every semester, university will give a copy of original mark sheet to students.
For applying to universities in USA, you have to send official transcripts. Since, you get only one copy, you have to get the mark sheets signed from University Registrar to make it official.
Process to get official transcripts changes between colleges and universities. But, following steps will give an overview of how to get transcripts.
- Make copies of all mark sheets (photocopy, zerox)
- Put them in an envelop
- Pay the fees at university for transcripts ( I think its around Rs 100 to Rs200 per transcript)
- Submit the copies to University Registrar office.
- Registrar will verify the mark sheets and sign each page. If you have 8 semester mark sheets, all 8 pages have to be signed (with seal)
- Paste the envelop and sign and seal at the envelop opening.
Signed and sealed envelop with mark sheets is now official transcript and you can send that along with application documents. Universities in India will NOT send the transcripts to US. Even though website say only transcripts from universities are accepted, it doesn’t apply to International admission.
If you have additional questions/comments about official transcripts, do leave a comment below. If the process to get transcripts is different with you school, can you leave a comment below about the procedure?