when send bank statement usa admission

When must one send bank statements to U.S. universities for graduate school admission?

Will I have to send the bank statements along with the application packet or should I wait for the universities to send me the acceptance or admission letter?

As I do not have that kind of money I need to take student loan.

The bank managers here are telling that they won’t issue a student loan unless i show them a confirmation letter from the university regarding my admission. So what to do in this case? Please advise.

How much bank balance

To give you some idea, international students applying for graduate school admission will need to show bank amounts as listed.

  • Wayne State University
    • Tuition Fees: $16,445
    • Living Expenses: $13,085
    • Total: $29, 530
  • Missouri @ St. Louis
    • Tuition Fees: $14,791
    • Living Expenses: $9,959
    • Total: $24,750
  • UCLA
    • Tuition Fees: $28,906
    • Living Expenses: $18,500
    • Total: $47,406

The total education expenses listed above examples are for one year. But to get an I-20, you must show sufficient (or higher) amount in your bank statement versus the total amount listed for one year. More on this topic at Bank Statement for Graduate School Admission.

When to Send the Bank Statement

Usually, the majority of the universities and graduate schools will require students to send the bank statement along with a financial affidavit in your graduate school application package.

You have to make sure to follow the instructions specified on the admission page of the university you are planning to apply.

For example North Carolina State University, you don’t have to send a bank statement with the application package.

  • NCSU: Mails the admission confirmation mail.
  • You: Mail the Bank Statements
  • NCSU: Mails the I-20


Student Loan for Bank Statement

What the bank manager had said was right. They will give a student loan only if you have an I-20 and a graduate school admission letter. Some Private banks in India would issue Education Loan after admission is granted and before I-20 is issued.

Most State and National banks in India, would not approve education loan to study abroad, during the college application process.

If you don’t have enough money to show bank balance, one way is to borrow money from getting the bank statement.

What options do you have?

If your money is in the form of fixed property or maybe in movable property, it will be hard to get cash out of it.

I have seen friends who got money from relatives and deposit in one bank account and then get a bank statement. After getting the statement, they would return the money to them.

But when applying for an F-1 student visa, you will need to have cash in a savings account to cover for at least one year of the total expenses, and you can use the student loan for the second year [worst case scenario].

I have written in detail about bank statements and lots of articles about F-1 visas and bank balance requirements for F-1 visa applications.

I would suggest that you read the following articles so you will get an idea of what to expect regarding money involved to study in the U.S.

If you have additional questions about bank statements and financial affidavit, please do add a comment below.


  1. Harshita on November 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM

    Hi, I am applying for ms in ee in UIUC. It requires me to submit a financial proof of 35 lacs. I do not have that much amount in a single bank account. However, I can show that amount accumulated in three accounts. I wanna know if multiple bank accounts are to be shown to the university, should i get a consolidated bank statement or consult a CA do this combining of bank statements from multiple bank accounts or manually combine bank statement for each account.

  2. Gulomjon on November 10, 2015 at 2:26 AM

    I have a bank statement showing $22, 000. I have applied to Los Angeles City College and got email saying you must send a last 3 months account expenses statement even though I sent 3 last month’s official bank statements. Does bank statement include account expenses letter? Do all US universities ask it?

    • Raghuram Sukumar on November 10, 2015 at 7:22 AM

      Account expense letter is bank transactions. That typically not required.
      Call and talk to them.

      • Gulomjon on November 13, 2015 at 4:41 AM

        Dear Raghuram Sukumar, I would like to thank you for your help. I have talked to them and they accepted me to admissions.
        Best Regards Gulomjon Otajonov.

        • Raghuram Sukumar on November 13, 2015 at 11:24 AM

          Yay! Great news. Congrats.

  3. naveen on September 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM

    can we send bank statement after the approval of the university

    • Raghuram Sukumar on September 23, 2015 at 8:06 AM

      Depends on the university and their admission requirements. Did you ask them?

  4. saif on April 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM

    Hi Raghu!
    I have 1 very nagging question about finances… Actually my dad has been accumulating money in my account over a period of time. More than a year in fact.. He did this bcoz he had multiple accounts in various banks and wanted to avoid hassles of getting statements from all these. So he consolidated all the required savings in mine…

    Is this a problem?? Since technically speaking its in my name, won’t the VO reject me saying that you cannot possibly have so much money yourself…

    Please help… I have to ready my finances..

  5. Ananya on August 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM

    Hi Raghu.

    I am applying for the Spring 2013 course to a Few US Universities.

    Some of those require me to declare finances while others dont. To show a bank balance equivalent to nearly $50000 is very difficult. However, I have a query wrt the bank accounts which can be used to declare finances. STandard accounts are Savings accounts. Is a Demat Account allowed? Shares are easy liquiable sources. So, will declaration of Demat account + Savings account be appropriate?

    I hope we can, because it might solve quite a lot of problems.

  6. Gowri Shankar on August 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM


    My name is gowri shankar. I am planning to apply for ms in cs in fall 2013 and the problem is my dads business went bankrupt last year and we had to sell our old property and buy new property to cover the debt. we still have over 1.25 crore in properties and my dad started his business again fresh 2 months back with loan from bank. now i havent taken my gre yet but i am confident i can get above 300 and also my dads friend is a Professor and Arthur H. Feagin Chair of Civil Engineering in auburn university. Can help me to get admissions in us universitys? i am confident i can secure a loan for my studies in us but i am not sure i can show money for first year expenses for admission.. ur help will be appreciated… thanks in advance…

  7. naveed gul on March 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

    HI Sir
    i am naveed from pakistan. and i am spous of usa citizen. my wife submmited petition 1 140 for me which was improved. i paid visa application fees and affidavit support form fees. now nvc ask petitioner sign on affidavit support form but she is sick and poor havent income to give me financiall support. in this situation can i use my money as bank statement to show nvc that i can fananciall support my own self.i am beneficiary can i fill 1-864A Form an send to nvc??

  8. Surajit Ghosh on May 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

    Can any one tell if whether I can have two persons to sponsor me?For example My dad and uncle together has enough money to show during VISA,but none of them has that much cash of their own.So can I tell the VISA people both my uncle and dad are sponsoring me?Please reply as soon as possible.

    • sanidhya on October 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM

      Even i have the same doubt…!!! Help…HSB

  9. Naveen kumar Reddy on October 6, 2010 at 7:59 PM


    I wish to take up my masters in clinical pharmacy in USA. I can show a bank statement of 20lakhs and we have a property of 30lakhs . Is it enough to get an admission and my cousin is a green card holder in USA .He is willing to sponsor for my education. So what is the procedure to show that i have financial aid from him also while getting a bank statement?

    please help me….

    thank you,


  10. muhammad usman rasoo on July 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM

    i have done my ba i want to go uk for higher studies in sep admisions but i have no bank statement so plz tell me when i need bank statement i mean when i should make bank statement

  11. HSB on November 1, 2008 at 3:24 PM

    @sumanth: Yes, relatives can sponsor your education. You will need bank statement, affidavit and any other additional documents. But, who's name is in I-20?

  12. sumanth on November 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM

    dear raghu,

    my uncle(the father's brother in law) is an american citizen and is a docter. his annual income is around $200,000. If he gives an affidavit stating that he will look after my expenses in USA along with his income tax return photocopy, will it be good enough for universities and for student visa?

    waiting for your reply


  13. Sumalya Pal on August 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

    Thanks for the reply Raghu, yeah i will go through all the pages in this blog regarding the banks statements. Thanks again!!

    • Md.Mushahid ur Rahma on May 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM


      i am interested to go USA by F1 visa.My elder brother is a permanent resident of USA ,he is a computer scientist & his salary is about 7000$ per month.i want to show him as my sponsor. i have personal bank balance about 12 lacks.my bank balance is limited because most of the money is not in fluid condition(mostly invested in buying flat,about 1 core).my most of the family member like uncle,aunts are permanent resident of USA.My parent is passed away.In this situation how possible for me to get F1 visa.Please inform me.

      • HSB on May 29, 2010 at 9:01 AM

        Show your brother as sponsor and have him send affidavit. Good luck.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.