I’ve got a serious issue. I’ve applied for Texas A&M University, College station as an Under Graduate International Freshmen and I got an e-mail about the confirmation provided with a Universal Identification Number (UIN). The problem I am facing now is, I am in a dilemma.
After I’ve applied and after a few steps, when I get to track my application, I see University: Texas A&M University, College station and Campus: Dwight College of Engineering. I don’t understand what these meant. I mean, do I need to take admission in this college namely Dwight College of Engineering or TAMU. This would seriously change my opinion and I am not at all satisfied with what I want. Please help me sort it out.
As the title of the posts says, you have to follow the hierarchy.
University can contain several campus or just one campus. Example Texas A&M system has several campuses. Example
  • Texas A&M (College Station)
  • Texas A&M at Corpus Christie
  • Texas A&M University at Kingsville
  • 8 More campus in the Texas A&M system
Within each university, there will be various colleges. Example
  • College of Engineering (in your case Dwight College of Engineering)
  • College of Science
  • Business School
Each College (or School) there will be several departments.
  • Department of Computer Science and Engineering
  • Department of Mechanical Engineering
  • Department of Mathematics
  • Department of English
Within each department, several degree programs will be offered. Example
  • Bachelors in Computer Science
  • Masters in Computer Science
  • Masters in Computer Science and Engineering
  • PhD in Computer Science
  • Certificate Programs in Computer Science
  • Masters in Software Engineering

Hope, this explanation clears your doubt. In India, we have a similar system, but within the college, we don’t have names to each department. I think that’s reason for this confusion.


  1. Raju on April 14, 2011 at 5:23 PM

    I have done my Bachelor of physical education course.

    Are there any universities providing admissions i to do masters in physical education.

  2. Nitin on January 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM

    To make it clearer

    In a university, if there is an engineering degree awarded, its most probably under the college of engineering.

    TCE (The College of Engineering) is usually named after a person (usually a philanthropist who gave tonnes of money to the college or some famous person).

    Just because the TCE has a different name doesnt mean its a different campus. eg: UC Irvine has a Henry Samueli CE, and so on.

    To simplify, think of a university as a collection of different colleges in a single campus (college/school of engineering, college/school of arts, college/school of business etc etc).

    Hope that simplifies it!

  3. Hari Krishna Veturi on January 28, 2011 at 6:26 AM

    Yea! That was the reason. We don't have so many names… Just a single name for the whole college. Thank you!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.