Yet another University goes down – Herguan University (HU) raided today and federal agents arrested Jerry Wang, CEO. You must remember Tri-Valley University Raid last year. Now, its Herguan University – located in Bay Area in California, just like Tri-Valley.
Guess what? Back in July 2011, following article was posted in Happy Schools Blog
HU is was listed at #4. Guess what, after 1 year, the university is raided, but not closed.
Raid at Herguan University
SEVIS Status Revoked
Following was posted in ICE.gov site about Herguan University.
Based on federal regulation, Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools are subject to a review of their certification at any time.
On Aug. 2, pursuant to a review of Herguan University’s certification, an SEVP representative served Herguan University school officials with a notice of intent to withdraw the school’s SEVP certification and Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) access.
Students have two choices:
- Continue to attend classes, or continue to work at the job for which they were authorized Optional Practical Training, and maintain their active status in a manner required by regulations, or
- Transfer to another SEVP-certified institution.
Are you a student in Herguan or do you have any information about the programs, do share your ideas below.
Why do you think majority of students are from India in Herguan?
- Low barrier for admission
- Low GRE scores are accepted
- Low TOEFL scores are accepted
- Students with backlogs apply in large numbers
- Students are of low academic profile get admits
- It’s considered a degree mill ( and SEVP approved)
- Consulates issues visa
- Low cost to study
- Agents mint money from recruiting students
- Herguan university accreditation – Not regionally accreditated.
Following the raid, CEO was later sentenced to prison for one year. But, Herguan University is not yet closed. It continues to operate. Right now, CPT is issued only after students complete 1 year of studies in F1 as per their web page.