I have a very serious question. How to find that particular university’s department is accredited or not? Also in Ph.D. also accreditation is required? And what can be the consequences, if university program is not accredited?
What is Accreditation?
The goal of accreditation is to ensure that education provided by institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality.
Accrediting agencies, which are private educational associations of regional or national scope, develop evaluation criteria and conduct peer evaluations to assess whether or not those criteria are met.
Institutions and/or programs that request an agency’s evaluation and that meet an agency’s criteria are then “accredited” by that agency.
U.S. Regional Accreditation Association
- The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Includes – Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico.
- The New England Association of Schools & Colleges.
Covers – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont.
- The Northwest Association Of Schools And Colleges.
Alaska, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee,Texas, Virginia
- The Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
California and Hawaii, the territories of Guam, American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, the Pacific Basin, and East Asia, and areas of the Pacific and East Asia where American/International schools or college
- The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Includes colleges in following stats – Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Wyoming
National Level Accreditation Database
- If your GRE Score is less than 1000 and if you are applying through US Admission Consultancies, you will be given list of unknown colleges and universities. Use the above links to check if they are accredited.
- While transferring between universities, this will come into picture. Colleges may not accept the credits from schools that are not accredited.
- Ofcourse degree have to be recognized by employer to offer you a job.
- Problems faced by students at Tri Valley University Raid can be avoided.