Federal Judge Cancelled 17 Months STEM OPT Extension with effective date of Feb 12, 2016. So, biggest question is, How does this affect you (students)?
To be more specific, here are the various stages of Current and Prospective Student and the impact on them at various stages.
- A Student who just arrived in USA for Fall 2015 Semester (F1 Visa)
- A student who will come to USA to Study on of After Jan 2016 (F1 Visa)
- A Student who will Graduate by December 2015 (F1 Visa)
- A Student who is in Initial 12 Months OPT Period (F1 Visa with OPT)
- Apply for Extension Before Feb 12, 2016
- Apply for Extension After Feb 12, 2016
- A Student who is in STEM Extension Period Now (expiring After Feb 12, 2016)
Following Infographics should cover Above scenarios. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Click on the image to enlarge.
- As per the STEM OPT Extension court Ruling, 12 Months OPT is NOT Affected.
- Only 17 Months STEM OPT Extension is Impacted with Effective Date of Feb 12, 2016.
- DHS got less than 6 months to File an Appeal or Start New Rule Making process with Notice and Comment Rule Making process
If you have any questions about your specific situation, please post them in the comments section below. If I have missed a specific scenario above, do let me know.