How many Green Card’s does U.S. Government issue to Employment Based Green Card?
140,000 Employment based Green Card is available per fiscal year foreign nationals.
Let’s do some math to help you understand how 9800 green cards are allocated.
EB Spillover – Green Card
- Total Number of Employment Based = 140,000 (Worldwide)
- EB1 (PhD and above) = 140,000 * 28.6% = 40,000
- EB2 (Masters, BE+5 yrs)= 140,000 * 28.6% = 40,000
- EB3 (Bachelors) = 140,000 * 28.6% = 40,000
- EB4 (Special Immigrants)= 140,000 * 7.1% = 10,000
- EB5 (Investors Visa) = 140,000 * 7.1% = 10,000
There is per cap country limit on top of annually allocated limit for each of the above EB Green Card visa categories.
- Per Country Cap (7%)
- Visa Categories = EB1, EB2, EB3, EB4 and EB5
- EB4 = 10,000 * 7.1% = 695
- EB5 = 10,000 *7.1% = 695
- EB1 = (40,000 * 7%) = 2802 + unused in EB4 and EB5.
- EB2 = (40,000 * 7%) = 2802 + unused EB1
- EB3 = (40,000 * 7%) 2802 + unused EB2
This is how it will look like
- EB4 + EB5 -> EB1 -> EB2 -> EB2 (India + China) -> EB3
Description of EB Spillover
- Green Card Visas that are not used from EB4 and EB5 go to EB1 category.
- Then unused numbers from EB1 goes to EB2.
- In EB2, all the spillover go to a most retrogressed country (India in this case) till it reaches the next retrogressed (China in this case).
- Unused EB2 numbers from 40,000 will be used by other countries in EB2 Category.
I have highlighted “spillover” at #3 and #6 article below. Now you know how Green Cards are allocated per country.
Example – Applications submitted on October 1, 2001 on EB3 are currently being processed. Yes, it takes that long to get Green Card. But, there is another important factor that impact that 9 years wait – How many Green Card applications are submitted (or in a queue) till date.
EB1 is marked current. Which means there is no wait time.
We have covered 2 steps in understanding in understanding the Employment Based Green Card process and many more to come that will help you get a complete understanding of the process.
- Visa Bulletin
- Per Country Cap and Green Card Numbers Spillover
More detailed version of this Spill Over Math is explained in Article #6 Below.
So, do you have any questions till now about the Green Card process?
- Wait Time to Get Green Card in USA for Eb1, EB2 and EB3
- Green Card Steps for EB2 and EB3 Explained
- Green Card Visa Numbers availability for E1, EB2 and EB3 (this article)
- US Green Card Waiting Time Based on Pending Applications
- Immigration Path : Steps for an F1 Visa to Become U.S. Citizenship
- How EB Green Card Spill Over between EB1, EB2, EB3, EB4 and EB5 works