I am regular reader of HSB, really feel this website as great asset for student looking forward to there master at United States.

I am concerned about my future. I have completed my 3 years Diploma now I’m going to enroll for BE course here in India.i was going through Stanford university graduate admission webpage found http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions/applying/transcripts.  They don’t accept people with 3 years of BE. They are more interested for 4 years. I want to this thing to get clear why exactly is this?

MS in USA with 3 year Degree from India

B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering) is not a 3 year degree in India.

Most universities and colleges don’t accept 3 year degree in U.S.A. You need 4 years  of post secondary education degree (12 years of school + 4 years of college) to be considered for admission.

Diploma in India can be of two types

  1. Diploma after 10th ( 10 + 3)
  2. Diploma after 12th (12 + 2)

Based on which Diploma degree you got, your time spent in BE will vary.

  1. Option 1 – You need to complete 3 years in BE
  2. Option 2 – You need to complete 2 years in BE (2nd and 3rd year)

With Option 2 :

  • Complete 3 years Diploma
  • Start BE (second year)
  • Apply for MS in USA during 5th/6th semester in BE (or 7th/8th)

There are few colleges and universities that accept 3 year degrees from India.

Other option might be to apply for another degree and get that 4th year of Education.

But, colleges in UK and Canada accept 3 years degree from India. You can consider applying and studying abroad in countries other than America.

In the end it comes down to your decision of going back to school for one more year to Study in USA or study in other countries that accepts three year degree.


  1. Urvy Mudgal on August 10, 2019 at 11:25 AM

    Hey, is a 3 year bachelor degree + 1-year distance PG diploma ( from a UGC recognized institute) valid for admission for MS in the USA?

  2. Ami Desai on April 26, 2019 at 9:01 AM

    Hi I have done my B.Com. from India for 3 years. As per USA WES evaluation it is not considered as Bachelors degree for usa requirement for Masters course. Can you guide me that whether 4th year will be require to study from India only or if any 1 year course done from USA university will be consider as 4th year for future usa requirement of bachelors degree.


    • Raghuram Sukumar on April 30, 2019 at 7:53 PM

      It’s a lot easier to study 4th year in India by joining Mtech or another college than studying in USA.

  3. Jigu on December 28, 2017 at 10:17 PM

    I have a Bachelor in Microbiology from India. I have done my evaluation through WES. It says three year undergraduate with 96.5 credit hours. What would be my best option. I am really frustrated even having bachelor frtom india it does not count equivalent to USA bachelor WES website says they do evaluation as equivalent to bachelor but it does not show like that on report.

    • Raghu on December 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM

      There’s not a lot you can do. 16 years of education is required to apply for Grad School in most universities in the USA.

  4. Simran Dua on May 25, 2017 at 3:27 AM

    I’ve Completed my B.Com and now I’m looking for MBA or MS in either US or Canada. Can you please suggest me that as the b.com is a 3 year degree, will PG Diploma of 1 year complete the requirement of my 16 years education.

    • Mobin John on September 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM

      I am in the same situation and i will tell you what i know.
      1. get your transcripts evaluated. if your university got a naac grade A and your grades are 65% above you will be equivalent to a 4 year degree.
      2. or if that dont work, you can do a masters degree and try later.
      3. or if that dont work, you can try joining a university in the US as a transfer student and complete your credits.( some universities need atleast 60 credits to be completed at that institution to get their name on your certificate)
      4. or, there are some universities like University of houston victoria that specifically have a bridge program for students like you and me and you can complete your masters in 3 years including the missing credits. ( BUT UHV is tier 2 university. good but not the best)
      5. MOST IMPORTANT : score good on your GMAT >550. and have atleast a 3.0 gpa( WES has a gpa converter for indian Universities)
      6. MS courses most likely needs more GMAT score and work experience. MBA not so much.
      i live in the US and this sucks for me. i cant get a job with a b.com or get into school.
      GOOD LUCK.

  5. Sriram s bharadwaj on January 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM

    Hello, I am sriram s bharadwaj from India I am currently pursuing my BCA final year in my sore university.. Further I am planning to study MS in USA.. Can anyone suggest me the USA university eligibility criteria for accepting 3 years degree

  6. [email protected] on January 4, 2017 at 2:01 PM

    My name darpan patel. I have completed my bachelors in chemistry for 3 years in india. Right now i am in US. I am doing under graduation for like 1.5 years and took almost 32 credits here in US. I did wes evaluation and it was equivalent to 3 years of US degree with 105 credits. I want apply for masters in chemistry and never got a proper advice. Can anyone tell me is there any way to apply for graduate school?

  7. Meera on June 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM

    Hi, I am completing my Bscit from an Indian University. And now for the further education, I want to apply in USA. But there they accept 2+4 years degree and mine is 2+3 years. I met few people who advised me to go for bridging courses. So can you please help by listing the colleges which accepts my bachelor’s degree and also provides bridging courses
    And, also I found this university in Chicago -De Paul university which accepts 3 years bachelor’s degree according to me. So, please help me by finding the actual truth.

  8. Sam A on February 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM

    Hi, I completed BSc in Computer Science, Stats and Math. I want to complete MS in Supply Chain in US. I already evaluated my degree and got 91 credit but while applying for admission they only accept 25 credit out of the 91 that means I have to study 2.5 years before I start my master program. do you know any university that will accept the 91 credit or full degree?

  9. Ranjana on February 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM


    I have done three year of aircraft maintenance engineer course
    from india and along with it i have also three year B.A(Corresspondence) from India.I am having 4 years work experience with airlines.Can I apply for MS in USA?

    • Raghuram Sukumar on February 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM

      You would need one more of college degree unless you want to go to really low quality schools.

      • Ranjana on February 2, 2016 at 10:30 AM

        Thanks for the Suggestion,so i cant apply to any college without it.I heard about bridge courses here in US colleges and what do u really mean by low colleges.

  10. ashfak on January 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM

    Hi HSB,

    I have completed my diploma (10+2) in I.T in 2010. I have been working from past 6 years. Will I be eligible for a Master’s program in USA?

    If I want to enroll in Master program in USA, should I get into 3 years degree from IGNOU or any distance learning institute and apply in my 2nd year of distance learning program?

    Please help me here,


  11. Senorita on January 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM

    Hello, What if I get my degree evaluated from WES to match my credits to the US system?

  12. Nidhi on December 22, 2015 at 7:43 PM

    Hi, I have a three year professional bachelors degree in information and management(BIM). After that I worked in a telecom major in Service delivery for six and half years in India. Can I be allowed for graduate school or would they accept me basis three years bachelors?
    I have completed my bachelors in year 2005 and its been ten years now, I have a experience in unrelated field and if I have to complete one year of bachelors then I would have to take courses where I need to start from scratch in order to pass one year of college, also, I want to change my field of education in graduate college from IT & Management to Professional science master in Environmental policy management( Masters).

    I also want to know instead of completing credits of one more year of bachelor degree in US to make it equivalent to US bachelors, can I go for a certificate course in USA instead , would that qualify as four years of college education post secondary school or do I have to have Bachelors degree of four years only?

  13. shruti on November 15, 2015 at 11:47 PM

    hi I have completed mythree years bsc chemistry from India and also have completed first year of MCA program. so does I am eligible for ms program in us?

    • Raghuram Sukumar on November 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM

      Bsc + MSc = 5 years. So, you are good to go.

  14. sarala on November 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM

    Hi, I have SSC, ITI(draft engineering), B com Degree, Diploma in Mechanical Engineering with 12 yrs of exp. Whether I am eligible to apply for MBA.. As I want to MBA for my professional growth.

    • Raghuram Sukumar on November 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM

      You maybe able to apply by using your experience, check with universities before applying.

  15. Saras on October 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM

    I have completed my B.SC comp science and now working as SE in an MNC, I have plan to work for an year and pursue MS in US.Will I be eligible for it?? 3year graduation + 1 year work experience?? Please help me..

  16. Shantanu on July 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM

    I am Shantanu. I have done 3 years of Bachelors in Comp Science.After that I have completed my SAP certification. Currently I have more than 3 years of experi ence in IT consulting. I would like to apply for MBA in US universities.Am I eligible to apply for MBA degree in US ?


    • Raghuram Sukumar on July 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM

      No, you need one more year of college education.

      • Saras on October 26, 2015 at 8:20 AM

        Can it be distance education??

        • Raghuram Sukumar on October 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM

          Yes, that can work, provided it’s accredited.

  17. Shankar on February 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM


    I have done my Diploma in plastics mould making (3yrs) and post diploma in plastics design (1 yr) after 10th standard. Also I have 13 years of work experience. Now I am interested in doing MS in plastics engineering in US. Can I apply for an MS degree in the US with a valid GRE score. Kindly give your feedback

    • Raghuram Sukumar on February 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM

      Yes you apply for MS.

  18. Sami on May 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

    Hi ,
    I have completed my Bsc (3 years)+ MCA (3 years) from India from 2 different universities, I am now palnning to apply in US for a masters degree, so , is it necessary to show my Bsc degree in the application form and also for third party evaluation if i only get evaluated my MCA degree , will that work*?

  19. Rupali on April 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

    Hi All,
    I have 3 years of IT experience from one of known MNC in India.I came to US on h4 after marriage.I am looking forward for MS.Can anyone let me know universities that do not require GRE (if you have 3 years of IT experience )for MS in US ?

  20. sherry khera on January 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM

    i have completed my bsc hons in chemistry(3yr course) from DU.i wish to pursue masters n phd from the US.i scored 1290 in gre .do i stand any chance?

    • HSB Counselor on January 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

      Universities in USA consider students from four years bachelors degree eligible for Masters programs. Thus ideally you need to complete an year more. You can check with some of the Universities if your application could be considered. You may be offered admission with a bridge course to be completed to fulfill the credits requirement.

      Else complete an year in India. You can take admissions in a Masters program. Later on you can plan for MS in USA.

      Your GRE scores are good and would hold valid for admissions a year later.

      Good Luck!

  21. Sanjay on April 25, 2011 at 6:37 AM

    Mohit ,

    Most of the US school accepts 3 years Diploma followed by 3 years Degree course. As you mentioned , Diploma holders normally get direct admission to second year of engineering and hence it just take 3 years to complete the degree.

    Whatever BE course you register for , just make sure it is four years degree course and you get admission to second year of engineering of the course.


  22. mohit on April 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM

    Thank you so much HSB for your quick reply! it seems you have answered about credit transfer.i apologize & let me once again post my question?

    As you know BE program in India is always 4 years course but due to my 3years Diploma I am going to start BE from 2nd year. So will I be eligible for my Masters in US top 50 schools for CSE.

    Another thing, I would really appreciate if you can walk me through that how I should prepare for GRE although I do understand it’s too early (3years) but I have a dream to study to do my MS in CSE at Best Engg School at US.

    Thanking you in Anticipation,


    • HSB on April 25, 2011 at 6:06 AM

      Updated the blog post. Check the post and post your comment again.

      • Mohit on April 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM

        thanks Sanjay & HSB,
        My Course is regular 4 years BE .

        Kindly please update me how should i start preparing for GRE from now although I do understand it’s too early (3years before actual exams) but my dream is to do MS in CSE at Best Engg School at US.My Target Score is 1500 above, i think its fairly possible with great time i have left with me .Lets be Honest i am really not good in Maths but somewhat better in Verbal part.


        • Deepti on July 13, 2016 at 1:48 AM

          Mohit, did your 3 year Diploma + 3 year BE work for MS in US?

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.