Read about the New H1B Memo 2010 that was passed on Jan 8, 2010. Find out if you are affected.
New H1B Visa Rules were introduced in the Senate few days back. US Senate approved new bill that restricts companies that receive stimulus funding (TARP) from hiring H1B Visa holders. Restriction doesn’t mean they cannot hire H1b Visa holders, but there are additional rules that has to be followed, making it difficult to hire H1B Visa workers.
So, let me explain what I understood from the new H1B Bill ( rule) that senate passed today
H1B Rule from Senate
- Companies receiving funding from US Government after stimulus package is passed will be considered ‘H1B Dependent Firm‘
- When a company become H1B Dependent Firm, they can hire employees with H1B Visa, but they have to prove no American worker is affected because of hiring an employee in H1B Visa. ( might have more restrictions, but in simple terms, this is what I understood)
- There is exception to Step 1. Companies can hire exempt H-1B nonimmigrants
Senate Version vs House Version of H1B bill
US Senators approved the above new H1b Visa Hiring rules. But, US House has a different version of the H1B Hiring rule. So, now US House has to approve the same rule that is approved by US Senators. I think there will be debate on which version to approve and if any changes has to be made.
After both US House and US Senate approves the bill, which is part of huge $8000,000,000,000 stimulus package, US President has to sign the bill. Only then the Bill will become a Law and can be implemented. So, as of now, its still a bill. This will certainly impact H1B Visa 2010 applications.
Next question you will have
- What is H1B Dependent Firm
- What is exempt H1B non immigrants
Details about H1B Dependent firm and exempt H1b Non-Immigrants is coming in the next article. but, right now all you need to understand is, new H1B bill is not yet signed by US President to be implemented as Law.
Subscribe to News Letter to get updates about H1b Visa news as it happens. Sign up using the form below. Submit you name and email and verify your email address.
Note – Above is not legal advise, i have written what I understood about H1B Bill. Seek professional help for legal advise.
Breaking News – New H1B Rules signed by Obama