Have you ever looked at your resume with an eye to delete unwanted words and sentences? If not, you will learn about words to strike in your resume.
Always following rules applies to resume
- Rule #1 – Resume is an evolving document.
- Rule #2 – Rule #1 still applies.
Unwanted Words in Resume
- Experienced, Seasoned, Well-Versed – You can be “experienced” in something after you’ve done it once—or every day for the past 10 years
- Team Player – Using a specific example, you show what you can actually accomplish
- Dynamic – When it comes to resumes, keep the content quantifiable, show tangible results and successes
- References Available Upon Request – If a company wants to hire you, they will ask you for references
Now, you have taken care of above words, next look at how long is your resume.
If your resume is longer than 2 pages, then you have to look at striking not just words, but pages worth of content. Majority of resume I come across from Indian students are several pages.
Here is a neat simple tip to reduce your resume page length.
Remove the project description, client details from your work experience. Nobody cares about your client and project description. Instead replace them with what your accomplishment.
While applying for internship or jobs in USA , please don’t use the same resume from India.
Hiring manager is not interested in City of Birth, Passport number, our parents name. You know what I’m talking about.
Delete the entire personal details section that is common in last part of the resume. It typically includes following details
- Passport number, expiry date
- Parents name
- Date of Birth
If you happen to apply to a job in USA with that resume, you are giving them yet another reason not to consider your application for the job.
All you have to include in your resume is Name, Address, Phone Number and Email Id.
I have seen several resumes without address. They assume, they employer will not hire them if they see out-of-state address. It is just yet another ridiculous reasoning, assumed by job applicant.
Do you need any help with your resume. Post the, sentences below. I will comment on them