Roadmap to Study in USA with Timelines
Following is the Road map to Study in USA with timeline and checklist will give you a guideline for admission to US for Fall and Spring semester.
Months listed are for best case scenario. Many students for Fall semester take GRE in Feb/March and still able to get admission for Fall semester.
Roadmap to Study in USA
- Get Passport (Surname(or last Name) is Mandatory
- Register for GRE Test (What name to use when registering for GRE? )
- Register for TOEFL
- Prepare for GRE Exam
- Browse Universities
- Give GRE (or GMAT)
- Report Scores to 4 Universities (at end of the exam)
- Give TOEFL Test
- Report TOEFL Scores to Universities
- Browse Universities
- Research – University Deadlines, Fees, funding, cost of living, safety, etc
- Finalize programs
- Finalize Universities
- Collect Required List of Documents (per school)
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommendation Letter
- Bank Statement
- Affidavit of Support
- Certificates and other supporting documents
- Copy of front and last pages of passport
- Copy of online application submission conformation
- Fill out online Graduate School Application
- Fill Department application (if any)
- Pay Application Fee (online or send dd)
- Confirmation number or application id
- Submit Application (online)
- Mail Application documents – Express Mail (courier)
- Check Application Status (Takes 2 to 4 months)
- Plan for Visa Bank balance and expenses
- Receive Admission Decision ( Admission Letter + I-20 form)
- Learn about F1 Visa Interview Process
- Pay SEVIS Fees
- Bank Statement
- Affidavit from Sponsors
- Other Required Documents
- F1 Visa Questions and Answers
- Find friends to travel together
- Book flight ticket
- Arrange for Pickup and Accommodation
- Buy stuffs
- Buy Suitcase
- Find Health Insurance Requirements
- Carrying Money to US (DD, TC or Wire Transfer)
- Leave a copy of documents at home
Over to you :
Do you have anything to add to above road map?
Hello Raghu sir
I am studying in mechanical field and i planning about further study in USA so can you give me some course in mechanical field and some information? Please
Hello Raghu sir ,
I am studying in 6 th sem mechanical and i have planning about to studying in USA . Can you suggest me to some good course in mechanical field for further study? Please and give some information about it .
Start exploring career options for Mechanical Engineers, Industrial and Industrial Management.
I am planning to do MS in civil engineering or construction engineering in fall 2017 and my cgpa is 7.3 ( 5 th semester)started preparing for GRE , could you suggest me some universities and I am confused about the month in which gre should be done
Search for blog for GRE times. I can’t give university suggestions.
Hello sir Recently completed my b.tech in electronic and communication. I want MS from USA . I got 5 band in ielts exam.
May i take admission at USA university .
Retake IELTS please.
i have completed my masters in food tech. kindly suggest me the universities in usa that are providing mba in hospitality management & tourism with reasonable fee. how can we change the universities if we are not satisfied with the course??
Please, how do I apply for scholarship for MS in USA? Am about writing Toefl and IELTS
Thank you Raghu for helping newbies in their quest for education in USA. My son will finish his undergrad in June 2016. He has already given his GRE and TOEFL and sorting out his LORs and SOPs. Could you guide him as to how he should shortlist good univs. He is currently pursing B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Energy. He would like to pursue either Industrial Engineering or Renewable/Sustainable Energy. Suggestions for good universities in USA and advises are welcome.
Lara – I will be launching a video course on how to search universities in next month or so. Please look for that under Courses Menu.
Please without GRE or any of its equivalent can I get admission to do PhD in USA?
Thank you for all the useful tips that you have been providing. I have one question- does the US Embassy check the bank pass book i.e. transaction details or will the affidavit of support along with the latest Bankers Certificate stating that X amount is available in the sponsors account do? Pls. clarify.
How to get admitted Graduate School ?
You will have to follow the above steps.
what i mean is if F1 visa is rejected,what happens to deposited money in bank? The money is transferred after f1 visa or before that?
I don’t see any relation between your first question and this one. Can you be clear with your question. What money are you referring to? If you are depositing your money in your bank account, it doesn’t matter if F1 visa is approved or rejected. It will be still your money.
Please write Roadmap to get a job in USA with Timelines.
It will be great help.
Good idea. Will do.
A huge step broken into smaller steps. Very informative