Lot of international Test Takers run into problems when registering for GRE Test due to
- Multiple first name ( ABC DEF XYZ)
- Multiple last name (AXX BYY CZZ)
- Long Names ( number of characters)
- No Surname in the passport
So, how do you register for GRE when your name falls into one of the above category?
What Name to Use for GRE
- The name you use when you register — and the spelling of that name — must exactly match (excluding accents and spaces) the name printed on the your passport or identification (ID) documents that you will present on the day of the test.
- If Name used for Registration does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.
- First Name (or Given Name)
- Be sure to provide your entire first (given) name (excluding accents and spaces).
- Do not register under a nickname and do not register with only an initial as your first name.
- Last (family/surname) name.
- You must enter your entire last (family/surname) name.
- If you have a two-part or multiple last name, enter your complete last name as it appears on the ID documents without spaces and accents that you will present on the day of the test.
- For example, a last name of Raghu John Sukumar would be entered as RaghuJohnSukumar.
- No Surname in the ID (or passport)
- If you do not have a last name, enter your Given Name as your first name and again as your last or surname. ( I don’t recommend this option, apply for new passport with surname)
- Register by Phone
- I recommend using Online GRE Registration (to avoid name mismatch and mis-spelling)
- If you register by phone, please be sure you are registered under your entire first and last names as they appear on your ID (excluding accents and spaces).
- If your online account has already been created, please confirm that the name on your ID documents still matches the name that appears in your account (excluding accents and spaces).
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents (excluding accents and spaces) match your admission ticket on the day of the test.
- Register for GRE Only after you have your passport with you.
- Have a copy of the passport with you during the registration process.
- Does your passport have Surname (or Last name or Family Name)?
- If Surname is empty, don’t register for GRE. You could run into several issues later while in USA.
GRE Registration Name problem
As listed above, you could run into GRE registration name problems when there is
- Name Mismatch with ID and registration info
- Missing Surname
- Lengthy Names
GRE Registration Name Change
Is it possible to change the name in GRE registration info?
- Spelling Mistakes can be corrected at Test Site (atleats in India)
- ETS might not allow adding or completely changing a the name
- You may have to cancel the registration and register again