Changed the Name in Passport added last name

Following is the email conversation with Praveen about a variety of topics.

  • University Selection
  • Admission Decision
  • Name Change in Passport
  • Names between Marksheet, Blank Surname in Passport.

This is lengthy article, but it has useful information to any prospective student applying to U.S. Universities.

PraveenHow long does it take for grad schools to generally respond to packets and inform if the admission is given/rejected/waitlisted? Also, let’s say if I have got admission in a particular university, can I request or buy more time from this university in order to wait for responses from other better universities?

HSB: It depends on universities. In general, it will take 2 to 4 months for the Universities to respond.

Praveen:  I have got admit already in UT Dallas for EE. I have opted for VLSI. I was not sure of how I should ask them for more time. UTD started pressurizing me to accept their admit. So, I just clicked “Accept admit” in their student service site so that it would facilitate them to send the I20. Also, I heard from my cousin doing IE in Clemson that there is nothing wrong in accepting the admit at this stage in order to get the I20. Also, he mentioned that after getting the I20s from the respective universities, we can choose which university has got to be our destination.

I have also applied for NCSU, TAMU, UOA, ASU and UT Arlington but as of yet no response from any of these universities. Also, I was a bit surprised with UTD’s lightning response. That admit email came within 10 working days of sending the packets.

HSB: What your cousin said is right. Some schools will give I-20 only of you pay deposit of $300 or so. I thought you were in such situation. Just get I-20 and  wait for other admission. What is your academic profile?


GRE Quantitative: 780; GRE Verbal: 560; GRE Analytical/AWA: 4 ; TOEFL: 106

  1. University of Texas at Dallas (MS EE [VLSI])
  2. Arizona State University (MS EE [VLSI])
  3. North Carolina State University (MS EE [VLSI])
  4. University of Arizona (MS EE [VLSI])
  5. Texas A&M University (MS EE [VLSI])
  6. University of Texas at Arlingotn (MS EE [VLSI])

Praveen: Blank Surname Name in the Passport

My current status is I have got 4 admits out of the 6 applied. They are Univ of Arizona, ASU, UTD and UTA. Got a reject from TAMU. Almost everyone got rejected from TAMU. Waiting for response from NCSU.

By the way I have a very important doubt. I read all your articles about surname problems in passport. All the solutions that you have given seem to point out that if at all am going to do a name change, it has to be before I take up my GRE. But you know what? I read these articles only after I got an admit from UTD. And your articles regarding the pot-full of woes that accompany a person without a surname in the passport has set alarm bells ringing in my stomach. Just as many other Indians have it, my passport too has my name printed as S.Praveen. And am planning to change it to like Praveen Srini by going to the gazetted office or whichever the concerned place is.

But is this too late? How effective is this going to be? Will it bring any confusions? Should I email all my grad coords after the name change in passport asking them to take note of it? Is the changing of the name now as good as changing the name before taking GRE? Pls enlighten me. I want to get your guidance before I go change my name in the passport office.


Did you receive I-20 from universities yet? If so, you have to fine out few more details. If you change the name in passport, then you will have to get New I-20. You have to talk to them first and find out what happens if you change the name in passport. Would they send you new I-20?

All you need now is I-20 that will match the name in your new passport and US visa that has both First and Last Name. If you plan to use the GRE Scores again, you will have to use the old name and show that your name was changed after that. Do let me know what you plan to do and what response you get from university. I will post in the blog. It will help thousands of other readers.

Praveen –

Only for UTD, I sent my financial document proof followed by which I got the I-20 from UTD in 30 odd working days. For the rest of the universities, I have not yet shown the financial document proof yet so no I-20s. Actually here am trying to play a tricky waiting game. Because I believe NCSU results might be out by March end. So in case by some good fortune I get an admit in NCSU, then I needn’t get the I-20s of ASU, UA and UTA. So directly I’ll go for the I-20 of NCSU because it is my first choice. So am planning to take more financial doc-related action only post mid or 3rd wk of-march so that by that time some response will arrive from NCSU.

And I gather from your reply that by far, I need to take action directed only towards UTD as I have already obtained the I-20 from them.

I’ll email their grad coordinator asking them what are the implications of changing the passport name. Also as a note of caution, I’ll email the  ASU, UA and UTA as well, telling them that am planning to change my passport name and if there’ll be any hassles in issuing my I-20 with my new name after I send my financial documents.. But from what you said, I presume there won’t be any problem with the other 3 universities with respect to the changing of my name because I haven’t yet given financial documental proof yet. But the emails I intend to send these 3 univs is just a precautionary measure.

So am I going in the right direction? Pls give me an “OK” signal if the sequence of steps am intending to take now is correct or any amendments need to be made.


Yup. go ahead. They will issue I-20 based on name you have in application form, unless you let them know about the name change.

Praveen –

All my transcripts have my name as S.Praveen and in case I change my name to a new one in my passport, that will still not be able to prevent me from getting my degree certificate and 8th sem marksheet (and thereby consolidated transcript) with my old name right. These documents will be having my name as S.Praveen right? And wouldn’t that be another collosal problem?


Thats how we use our name in India. Initials. Name Systems followed in US is First Name Last Name ( or Last Name, First Name). You will not have problems by changing your name in passport.

So, your problem is solved. Schools don’t care on how ur name is in passport or certificate. So, they are not going to answers your queries.

Praveen –

So I gather from this conversation that I can go ahead with the changing of my name in the passport and that the existance of all my academic documents and transcripts with my old name are prefectly okay and will not pose any harm even though they do not match with my new passport name. Is my conclusion right?

All right then thanks again and you could start a new topic in Happy Schools Blog quoting my scenario as an example and the solution that could be used to douse this problem . Also pls include in the same topic that the old name in the academic documents will not pose a problem even though they do not match with the new passport name. Because it is this key statement that calms the nerves of many students like me. This’ll be a beneficial topic for sure for all MS aspirants.


Hi HSB. I have included my previous conversations with you as a reference for identity purpose.

Currently, I have got my name changed in the passport with proper first name and surname. Now my attention shifts to a dilemma that is raging in my mind for a long time. I waited for pretty much a long time for results of NCSU. But still I haven’t yet got a response from NCSU. So I have to be sure of my backup plan. Assuming I don’t get NCSU, I will have to choose between ASU, University of Arizona and UT Dallas as my final destination. I have applied for MSEE. And am targetting VLSI or Embedded Systems.

Assuming a bad job scenario (because this is the reality now in US), my criterion in deciding are cost of living, job prospects, quality of coursework and research, on campus jobs within the universities, and also availabilty of TA/RA opportunities.

Worst case if I don’t get a job after finishing my MS, I should make my moves such that highest priority is given to the cost and such that I end up paying off minimal loan. Taking these into considerations, I have done the first level filtering and decided against going to the University of Arizona as its tuition fee is high and also because cost of living in general is high in Arizona. Although its research work is excellent, I think I have to make that bit of bargain.

So now its between ASU and UTD. Once again ASU in tempe is slightly costlier in terms of tuition fees than texas dallas univ. Also the cost of living as such (in Arizona) is marginally higher than Texas as I already mentioned above. Besided this, I recently heard that the on-campus job scenario in ASU isn’t that good. But as far as proximity to silicon industries is concerned both ASU and UTD are equally good and the scale hangs in balance as big players like Texas Instruments etc are nearby. Not that UTD is the best bet now but because ASU is way ahead of UTD far as EE rankings are concerned, this adds to my confusion.

But considering so many of these pros and cons and with a lot of soul-searching and retrospection, I am concluding UTD wins the race by a hairline margin. So as of now am planning to make UTD as my end destination in case NCSU does not turn up with any response. The final date till which I am going to wait is 15th April. After that, am going ahead with UTD.

So do you think am justified in taking this decision? Is my thought process sequence correct?

Note: I don’t know where Praveen ended up studying. If I track him down, I will ask him for sure!

Series: GRE Registration vs Names

  1. What names to use when Registering for the GRE Test (this article)
  2. How to Register for GRE with Multiple Names
  3. How to Change the Name After GRE Registration (But Before the Test)
  4. How to change the name after taking the GRE Test
  5. Problems without Surname in the Passport, GRE, Transcripts and College Application
  6. How to Change the Name in the Passport in the USA (& why you should change)
  7. No Surname in the Passport. Apply to US Universities?
  8. If Last Name Changes, Would GRE Scores Become invalid?
  9. How to complete DS-160 without Surname in the Passport
  10. I changed my name in the Passport to avoid problems



  1. Ishika on September 23, 2019 at 8:53 PM

    Hello sir!
    I have different surname in certificates and passport…
    I one of my certificate and citizenhip it is
    Given name- Ishika
    Surname- Ghimire

    And in all another certificate
    Given name – Ishika
    Surname- Ghimirey

    And all other lisence and passport has
    Given name- Ishika
    Surname- Ghimirey

    I am planning to move to us in working visa and eventually apply for green card to settle down there..will it create a problem letter on…? Should I continue using the same kind of passport?

  2. karthik on December 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM

    sir my name is varada kvvss ramnadh

    recently i applied passport they asking expansion of intials , if i provide intials expansion to them, which is not available on 10 to degree certificates ,andhar all certificates as(varada kvvss ramnadh). will it create any problem for applying visa, on which name bases we should apply GRE, what name can i get in MS certificate as per passport name or ssc certificate name.

  3. manideep on August 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM


    My name in passport is mentioned as:
    Surname: XXXX
    Given Name: MANI DEEP
    In my 10th, 12th and B.E transcripts it is mentioned as XXXX MANIDEEP (no space in between mani and deep).
    It would be so kind of you if you could tell me whether this would cause any problems when I apply for MS.
    Also, which name should I use for giving TOEFL and GRE exams?
    Thanking you
    Have a great day

  4. ashish on October 8, 2015 at 2:28 AM

    hii sir
    i have a similar problem
    i dont hve my lastname in my passport and my gre scores
    i hve come through ur blog … i think i hve to add my lastname in my passport
    wil it effect my gre scores if i change my name in my passport ? can i apply for the universities stating that i have changed my name in my passport .. wil that not get me into any probem ?
    plzz suggest me sir ,i would be very much thankful for dat

    • Raghuram Sukumar on October 8, 2015 at 7:05 AM

      Answered several times here. Read other comments.

  5. Vishal on June 22, 2015 at 3:33 PM

    Surname on documents: MALAVIYA

    Surname on passport: MALVIYA

    with which should I apply for Visa???

    • Raghuram Sukumar on June 22, 2015 at 4:14 PM

      Passport is your OOFFICIAL document that you should base the visa application.

      • Vishal on June 23, 2015 at 3:39 AM

        Sry..It was mistake..

        Surname on documents: MALAVIYA

        surname On Marksheets: MALVIYA

        so with which should I apply for Passport??

        Plzz reply Earlier was mistaken by me Please

  6. Jayapriya on March 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM


    My name is jaypriya… my DOB mismatch between my school, college certificates with DOB certificate… I have to apply passport.. they will be asking Correct Matches DOB between birth certificates and School, college. What should i be in this problem? please assist

    • Rakesh on February 6, 2015 at 12:24 PM

      Hello Jayapriya, Please let me know if you find a solution. I am also facing the same issue.

      Thanks, Rakesh.

  7. hari on January 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

    hellp sir,i completed my ssc in 2004.In my 10th marks memo and intermediate, my father name is entered “VENKATARAMAIAH” INSTEAD OF “VENKATARAMANA”.I want to change my fahter name in the all marklists .So plz tell me process how to change and also how many days it will to complete the process.
    thank u advance

  8. Lovish on July 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM

    I have problem like above i wana to change my name in my all certificate school to colage pls let me know how i can change

  9. reji on March 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM

    sir, blank surname in birth certificate can i apply for Indian passport with a surname in school certificate is there any problem to submit birth certificate without surname as a document with passport application?

  10. gopi on February 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

    Hi every one i have a small problem please give your valuable suggestions…..urgently

    Myname in SSC certificates as appeared as Surname(XXX) and Name(YYY) like (m.gopi)and
    Inter certificates as appeared as Name(YYY) and Surname(XXX) like(gopi.m)
    is there any problem for further studies and is i need to change in certifiactes? How long time it takes for the procedure if i change? pls give reply
    as soon as possible

  11. gopi on February 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

    Hi every one i have a small problem please give your valuable suggestions…..urgently

    Myname in SSC certificates as appeared as Surname(XXX) and Name(YYY) and
    Inter certificates as appeared as Name(YYY) and Surname(XXX)
    is there any problem for further studies and is i need to change in certifiactes? How long time it takes for the procedure if i change? pls give reply
    as soon as possible

  12. anirudha on February 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM

    Hello Sir,

    On my 10th and 12th certificate my name is printed as “Aniruddha” and on the passport its printed as “Anirudha”. Will it create any prob while applying for H1B US Visa.

    Please reply as soon as possible.

    • Vishal on June 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM

      Did u get your solution?

      Coz’ I’ve got a problem like yours

      Surname on documents :MALAVIYA

      surname on Marksheets: MALVIYA

      with which should I apply for Passport?

  13. Lokesh on December 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM

    Hi every one i have a small problem please give your valuable suggestions…..urgently

    Myname in SSC certificates as appeared as Surname(XXX) and Name(YYY) and
    Inter certificates as appeared as Surname(XXX) and Name(YYY)
    but my problem is in
    B.TecH certificates as Appears as Name(YYY) and Surname(XXX)

    as am 2010 Engg graduate from JNTUH …is there any problem for further studies and is i need to change in certifiactes? How long time it takes for the procedure if i change? pls give reply
    as soon as possible

  14. Srinivas Suri on December 16, 2011 at 2:52 AM


    As per my Educational Certificates my name is “SRINIVASULU SURI”. The same is printed in Passport. In my passport my name is “SRINIVASULU SURI”.

    But in my Pan card the name is printed as “SRINIVAS SURI”.

    In all career docs(Offer letters, FORM16) my name is SRINIVAS SURI.

    In case if i apply for VISA H1 or L1, then will it be a problem for me?
    If it will be a problem then please let me know what is solution for this.

    Thanks u very much

    Srinivas Suri

  15. Bristy on November 23, 2011 at 2:32 AM

    Hello Sir, I have completed my 10th in the year 2010 and i am going to attened my 12th in the year 2012. Unfortunately my father name is misspelled as ATAUR RAHMAN on the SSC certificate.But the real name is ABDUR RAHMAN in my HSC registration papers.Kindly help me by providing the details to meet all the formalities required by SSC Board to get my father name corrected.

  16. shiva kumar on November 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM

    Hi sir,
    I m CH.shivakumar, In my study certificates from 7th to postgraudate my father name is CH.Chandramallesh as mentioned and in my PAN card and Ratiocard, it was mentioned as CH.mallesh(original name), i hav enquired in all education departments does it change or not but they are saying that it is not possible because u hav studied the 7th class as a private student and now 7th board as closed completly. Now i m facing a problem to get a passport and also a land problem, so Pls advice me, what should i do?

  17. Harneet on October 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

    My name in 10th and 12th Marksheet says my name as ‘Harneet Kaur’. I have also enrolled in B.Tech. as ‘Harneet Kaur’.Currently , i am in 4th year and have applied for some foreign universities in US with the name ‘Harneet Kaur Matharu’ which is in my passport.Will that create any problem? And also, do i need to get my name changed in all the certificates.
    Please Reply asap.

  18. nitin on September 6, 2011 at 2:43 PM

    i have different father name in my high school marksheet & in 12 marksheet
    in high school marksheet my father name is Rajesh kumar Yadav & in 12 marksheet its R.K Yadav but all other details are same is it going to create any problem in my further studies if yes how can i correct this.

    • sreedhar on November 2, 2011 at 9:39 AM

      go to intermediate board with 10 and 12 marksheets ask change my father’s name. they will change u r father’s name as same as in 10 mark sheet. it will take just 2-5 days.

  19. Arun on August 26, 2011 at 6:05 AM

    i changed my name from ARUNA VL to ARUN VL. Name in my passport is ARUN VL but in my certificates it is ARUNA VL, will it pose any problem during visa. pls help me out.

    look forward to hear from you.
    ARUN Vl

  20. viren on August 14, 2011 at 3:45 AM

    my name in the birth certifict, 10th 12th, graduation etc is virendra. i want to change it to viren. for this i’ve followed a legal process of gazette notification.

    wht i want to know is, will i have to face any problems due to this change in future like getting getting employment in india, getting visa or if i go for ms in usa??
    i’ve been selected in an mnc in india with my docs in previous name.. will they allow this name change on the basis of gazette notification.

    look forward to hearing from you soon

  21. aijaz ali on August 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM

    i dont have surname in my passport , is that going to create any problem for me for getting I-20 , or during visa interview or when i enter US for graduation?


  22. aijaz ali on August 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

    i dont have surname in my passport , is that going to create any problem for me for getting I-20 , or during visa interview or when i enter US for graduation?

  23. abraham dev prasad on July 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

    Hello HSB!
    My name is abraham dev prasad and in all my documents(even passport) i have the same name but the problem came when i read ur article having a surname is a must since in my passport my surname is left as blannk….. what should i do???

    1. one solution i thought of was adding my surname:xxxxx to my passport. so that my given name: abraham dev prasad nd surname:xxxx ….. but in all other documents there is no surname will it create a problem in writing gre nd toefel nd in i-20 app?

    2. secondly i thought why to add a surname just change my given name abraham dev prasad AS
    surname: dev prasad
    given name:abraham

    i would be very grateful if u can help me out asap.

  24. Prasad on May 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM

    Hi.. Why did you drop UTA?… I have admit from UTA, Auburn and UTD. Even i have been in confusion after checking out wit all pros and cons you have stated above.. Please suggest me which i must go ahead with. I haven’t received scholarship from any though.

  25. Muthu Kumar on May 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM

    My name in in high school certificates and other documents is MUTHU KUMAR S.. while creating my new GRE account it said “Enter your name exactly as it appears on the primary identification document (without spaces or accents) ” .. I have not applied fr my passport yet.
    Should i use ‘MUTHUKUMAR’ or can i register as ‘MUTHU KUMAR’ itself?

  26. Shahid on April 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM

    I just wanted to change my name. my current name is:-

    Surname: sxxx , middle-name: axxx , name: mohammad shahid.

    And wanted to change it to make short as Surname: sxxx , mid-name: axxx , name: shahid.

    all marksheet, toefl, gre has old name, if i change name it would create problem. Reply


  27. Shahid on April 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM

    I just wanted to change my name. my current name is. Surname: sxxx , mid-name: axxx , name: mohammad shahid.

    And wanted to change it to make short as Surname: sxxx , mid-name: axxx , name: shahid.

    all marksheet, toefl, gre has old name, if i change name it would create problem. Reply

  28. dinesh kondhol on March 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM


    My name in all marksheets is Dinesh Kondhol.

    But in my passport it is Dineshkumar Patel.

    Will it create problem in admission or visa?

    • vikash kumar on September 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

      hi i m vikash kumar.i have completed my education till graduation with name vikash kumar. now i m persuing mba with this name, now i want to change my name. will it create proablem in future

  29. Moiz Motorwala on December 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

    I have my name as Moiz Motor Wala in my college marksheets but as Moiz Motorwala in my passport and it is correct. And this time i saw my surname “Motorwala” considered as middle name “Motor” and surname “Wala” in my college registration form. Does it matters when i write GRE and apply for visa etc…and what should i do to correct this name discrepancy…pls help me out…thanx in advance..

  30. c.nivedithareddy on November 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM

    hieee sir,

    my name in SSC certificate is NIVEDITHA CHAMAKURA and in the rest of my college certificates is NIVEDITHA CHAMAKURA REDDY.i am applying for my passport very please let me know which name should i mention in it or should i make any name change in my certificates before applying for passport.

    please help me out before its too late

    awaiting for ur answer



    niveditha reddy

  31. dhivyadharshni on November 1, 2010 at 3:46 AM

    hello sir,

    I m dhivyadharshni.I hav a problem in my mark sheets. In my tenth mark sheet my name has been mentioned as divyadharshni..and in my coll marksheets my name has been mentioned as dhivyadharshni. the name mentioned in coll marksheets s nly correct. so in future,wen i go for a interview will i b suffered from any problem? how to solve dis ? pls reply me sir..i m in a great confusion.

    • HSB on November 1, 2010 at 4:07 AM

      Does your name in passport matches college, then you dont have any problems.

  32. Mohan on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

    Hello sir,

    My name is R S MOHAN. I want to apply for passport.I dont have any idea about initial problems.I planned to write GRE. I have all the records as R S MOHAN. What to do?

  33. mohit on September 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM


    i have a problem with my name

    from my 1st standard to my passport and all certificate i have only use my name and father name . but no surname so if i want to go usa then it is need the surname or not . in my all certificate, drivin license ,voter card and also in my passport i hav no surname . so please suggest me

  34. Neha on September 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM

    My official transcripts have spelled my name wrong. will this create problems in admissions?

  35. Sanjogita Rawat on September 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM


    This is sanjogita Rawat actually my query is in my passport and my school certictae my full name mensioned as Sanjogita Rawat but in my graduation i changed my surname as Sanjogita Rawat, earlier i was not using my surname Rawat. and now i am appling to Uk student visa and i got offer letter from college on sanjogita Rawat name can you please tell will it be a create a problem in getting my visa.

    if yes then what sholud i do for the same as i do not have much time in hand, my classes are going to start from 20th Sept.

    Pls advice.


    Sanjogita Rawat

  36. pavan on August 22, 2010 at 6:54 AM

    hi……MY name is PAVAN KUMAR RAAVI….but after submitting the address proof for application of passport…..i noticed that my fathers surname is included in it as RAVI instead of RAAVI…… would this be a problem to my passport processing ,….plz reply guys …m jus desprate….

  37. pavan on August 22, 2010 at 6:52 AM

    hi……MY name is PAVAN KUMAR RAAVI….but after submitting the address proof for application of passport…..i noticed that my fathers name is included in it as RAVI instead of RAAVI… would this be a problem to my passport processing ,….plz reply guys …m jus desprate….

  38. shaik on August 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM

    Hi and best of luck to all MS aspirants…

  39. patnaik on August 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM

    hi. i intend to do a name change before getting admissions into a B-school next year. My doubt is, if i change my first name through an affidavit and change my identity proofs in accordance, but retain my academic certificates with the old name then will it pose any problem at the time of admission into any B-school.

  40. raghu on August 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM

    will there be any problem while going through immigration check…

  41. Raghu on August 5, 2010 at 4:25 AM

    hi HSB, I am raghunandan , my name is misprinted in passport n i got visa with the misspelled name

    original name & name on all academic certificates :Raghunandan Hakeem
    name on passport : Raghunadan Hakeem
    name on VISA : Raghunadan Hakeem
    will it create any problem for me and If there is any problem please suggest what needs to be done …please reply me

    • Raghu on August 8, 2010 at 9:10 PM

      please tell me i am very much tensed about this ….how will be the immigration check?? plz reply me

  42. Raghu on August 5, 2010 at 4:22 AM

    hi HSB
    i am raghunandan , my name is misprinted in passport n i got visa with the misspelled name

    original name & name on all academic certificates :Raghunandan Hakeem
    name on passport : Raghunadan Hakeem
    name on VISA : Raghunadan Hakeem
    will it create any problem for me and If there is any problem please suggest what needs to be done …please reply me

    • HSB on August 5, 2010 at 4:29 AM

      It was your oversight. There is nothing much you can do now. Use misspelled name or change name in passport but not sure about visa.

      • Raghu on August 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM

        will there be any problem while going through immigration check…

  43. nishtha on August 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM

    I have got my passport recently but its without my surname, all my academic and other documents are without my surname. what i need to do to get my surname added in my passport? And what all kind of formalities are needed and how much time its gonna take? What all documents would be needed?

  44. jaikeerthy on July 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

    Sir, my name is given as C R JAI KEERTHY in my 10th and 12th marks card, but as you know we cannot use our initials in passport application form, so i have written as JAI KEERTHY in given name and in SURNAME i have expanded C R as CHOWLUR REVANNA .I have to submit on 5th of august. Can i submit or should i get a affidavit of name changing from note tree and give an ad in newspaper of name changing and should produce in the passport office? or can i submit it directly? Because many of my friends submitted it directly without changing anything. Plz tell me what should i do?

  45. Taranjeet Singh on July 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM

    Hi HSB!

    I am Taranjeet Singh. I just completed completed my dual degree(, M.Tech) from IIT Roorkee, with specialization in RF. I am considering to pursue Phd. But I have a problem with my name in the passport.

    The thing is that I have used Taranjeet Singh as my name throughout my life. On all my school, college certificates Taranjeet Singh is listed as my name. However on my passport my name is "Taranjeet Singh Janjuha" as follows-

    Given Name- Taranjeet Singh

    Surname- Janjuha

    This happened because on the passport form, there was a field which asked for surname. So, i wrote Janjuha thinking that they are asking it just for information purposes. I had no intent of using Janjuha in my passport name as I have never used it before. But anyways they included it in my name! Now I am stuck in a situation in which there is mismatch between my passport name and other certificates.

    I think there would be a problem when I will give GRE and after that apply for US Visa. I would have to register for exam by my passport name and use the same name for all the VISA purposes. My college will send transcripts to US universities which will be by name of "Taranjeet Singh". The concerned US university will also send I-20 or some other forms (although I don't know which name they would use). Would this be a very big problem? Do you think that by registering for the exam an I-20 forms etc. by my passport name only, I would be able to avoid these problems?

    Other solution is to change name on passport and include Singh as the surname and delete Janjuha from the name. So that my name on the passport is as follows-

    Given Name- Taranjeet

    Surname- Singh

    This solution will solve all my name problems and let me give the exam. But the problem is I am not sure whethet it is possible for sikhs to include Singh/Kaur as surname

    I have been told by one or two people who are settled in canada that sometimes Canada/US don,t allow use of Singh/Kaur as surname. I also talked to some passport agents and they confirmed this. However I am not very sure about this thing. Do you have any info on using Singh as surname for US etc.?

    According to agents, it is possible to delete Janjuha from the surname and keep that field blank making my name on passport

    Given name- Taranjeet Singh

    Last name- Blank

    Now I think this would be worst possible situation!!

    What solution would you suggest in order to solve my problem?

    I would greatly appreciate any help.

    • RUSSEL on May 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM

      i am also facing same kind of problem. please hsb help us by giving your advice.

  46. Tushar on June 16, 2010 at 2:10 AM


    I am from India and i my 10th board marksheet ,there is typo which i could not change within the applicable time.

    MY name is Tushar sharma
    but in my marksheet it is TushaK Sharma.Please let me know the solution of this problem and how will i overcome such problem in applying to university

    • neha on November 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM

      Hi tushar,

      did you apply with the same name???. i don't think 10th marksheet wil b a problem. generally, only college marksheets will be checked.

  47. krishnareddy on May 31, 2010 at 5:02 AM

    is it any problem missing of surname in my all educational certificates due to overlenth of my original name..
    i give you an example
    my name is venkata kasi krishna reddy.nandyala
    but in my certificates venkata kasi krishna reddy and my father name have surname as N .please provide me beter soloution for me.

  48. Shivam on April 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

    I have changed my name before applying for GRE. Now that when I apply for universities, my marksheets and other previous documents are having the old name. Won’t it create pronlems in application as there is a mismatch in the old name and the GRE application name. If there is any problem please suggest what needs to be done.

    • neha on November 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM


      some universities do give us an option to enter a previus name(like name before marriage,changed name etc). so u can make use of that. otherwise just call the amdissions office of whichever university u want to apply and ask them what they can do.

  49. Anushka on April 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM

    Will it create any problem if there is any mismatch in my

    father's name in passport and certificates???

  50. Pooja on April 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM

    hi..does bak logs in under graduate matters for visa interview..

    i heard if ve baklogs visa is rejected..

    • neha on November 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM

      hi HSB sir,

      my name is mispelt in some of my semester marksheets. but, my passport, final degree certificate etc have my correct name..if i get the name corrected then there is problem in the date of issue. the college/university issues it in today's name but i passed out 3 years back. i am confused whether i should retain the wrong spelling itself. i am applying to M.S in USA. please advice me.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.