While studying in USA, safety must be your main concern. It’s you job to stay safe and you can do that by not taking risks and not putting yourself where you can get hurt or get into trouble.
Don’t do anything that is not legally allowed. If you feel you are out of place and situation looks uncomfortable, then get away from that place.
Understand the situation, if you think you are in out of place, then get away and diffuse the situation. You are more likely to get in trouble when you are new to USA. So, ask and learn about the rules and laws.
- Downloading movies ( FBI Tracked Movie Download and Lost PhD Financial Aid )
- Downloading games
- Downloading Software
- Copying Assignments ( I’m in Big Trouble for Copying Assignment )
- Driving without Driving License
- Driving without Car insurance
- Respect Privacy of Others
- Cracking into others computers (or Hacking)
- Shoplifting – Stealing from Shops (even small items)
- Working illegally ( like off-campus, grocery store, motels, hotels, gas stations, etc)
- Downloading Child Porn
- Sexual Harassment ( even a comment about other sex can get you in trouble)
Plagiarism is a huge deal with International students. I have witnesed personally the effects of that ( with my roommates).
When I go to NAFSA annual conference, admission directors complain about plagrisim is high among Indian students.
Any police case will be recorded in your background record.
You will find it tough to get a job when you have criminal or any sort of record in your background check.
Did I miss anything else?